April 26, 2006

Anniversary

Today is my birthday. Now that I'm 26 I expect my life will be pretty different. Like, when people ask me how old I am I'll start to feel a sense of shame or something. Nah, that's not gonna happen. I'm among the lucky ones - I've got four older sisters and one older brother! That means I am FOREVER YOUNG. I kind of like that.

I took a few days off work last week and drove down to Wanganui and Wellington for an extended weekend. It was a busy time of catch-ups and coffees, with a bit of shopping and quite a lot of gossip. Shout outs to Joanna, once again the Queen of Hostesses, and also to Jane who most graciously put me up and kept me fed and watered throughout. Thanks Jane! And to everyone else I hung out with - it was sweeeet to see you all. Namely Ange, Hugo, Lisa, Jimmy, Marilyn, Johnny, Nick, Amelia, Matty, Esther, Georgie and Gibby.

Some funny things happened to me in Wellington. I was rendered speechless by a phone call I received while at Real Groovy. I cut my hair in a public toilet. I received a creepy massage that _actually_ tripped my violation scale. I saw a band called Pig Out play in Georgie's lounge (they was great!) A man about twice my age offered to draw a tattoo on my stomach and then lick it off. (I declined). Next day I remembered that it's water you're supposed to drink a lot of after a massage, not beer. Urgh. I ate a lot of Roti Chenai. Sooooo gooooood.

The highlight of my birthday so far, besides seeing (then crawling under) a really big fallen tree at Western Springs lakeside park this morning, occurred just now when the boss and I took turns throwing feijoas out the window, trying to hit the Stuffed Pheasant. Neither of us got it, but I was pretty close. It's the little things, really.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY FRICKING BIRTHDAY! Hope its been rad as!

6:48 am  
Blogger Martha Craig said...

Woah! You'll be needing support hose and a ring cushion before you know it.

Have a wonderful evening.

7:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

26 on the 26th? A good year for sure. Happy birthday!

7:58 am  
Blogger llew said...

Happy Birthday!

9:11 pm  
Blogger gina lash said...

It is your Golden Birthday apparently.

On account of being 26 on the 26th. This means that people should spend lots and lots of money on you because you only have one Golden Birthday.

EVER.

Milk it.

10:48 am  
Blogger ANNA said...

I like that Golden Birthday idea. Too bad if you are born on the 1st of the month though...

Hope you got tons of great pressies and you can wear the one I gave you as you do the hula while sipping vodka and lemonade from your personalised glass! Or something..

Love you, xxxxx

11:58 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

I'm disappointed I didn't know about this golden birthday phenomenon beforehand. Seems a bit like a missed opportunity. That said, the coincidence did unexpectedly delight, and I suppose sometimes one doesn't recognise opportunities at the first instance.

12:10 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hey Anna. Thanks! Great suggestion. I think I will do just that..

12:25 pm  
Blogger Russell Brown said...

I saw the stuffed pheasnt today. Freaky. And is that a dessicated ferret it's talking to?

Cheers,
RB

PS: Young persons who want to call their band Dessicated Ferrit and enter the Smokefree Rockquest should go right ahead.

12:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday

10:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Jesse - I wish I'd known about this golden birthday thing but since I'm an 8th girl, I would have been too young to appreciate it. Either way, 26 is a lovely age. Not so young that you know jackshit and not so old that you can't even remember when your birthday is, or what it means.

9:48 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hey Russell. Yeah it's a ferret. Who knows what will be next! I should really be photographing the entire phenomenon but I hear there's a flow of tourists doing just that.

Thanks Anonymous. And thanks Jackie! I reckon 26 is pretty cool too.

7:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Roti Canai in Wellington, yum! If you ever get desperate, there might be some okay ones in the freezer section of the bigger asian markets. They are from Malaysia and usually labeled puff paratha.

9:06 pm  

Post a Comment