August 19, 2004

Who ate all the -

PIES! They got a lot to answer for. I can't even remember the last time I ate a pie ... apart from the lovely Mrs Mac's beef mince pie that I wolfed down for this evening's dinner. I don't know what it is about my eating habits that means I have these occasional periods where all I eat is junk. This week, for example, I've eaten copious amounts of lollies. Admittedly today they were for comfort purposes, but either way, they still make me feel sick. The problem is that I have no ability to moderate. In a typically romantic fashion, I pay lip service to the concept of "everything in moderation", but at crunch time I'm the one switching off my brain and instructing my conscience to politely fuck off while I reach for another beer/toke/plate of nachos/inappropriate crush.

Mystical values like common sense, moderation and serenity have never been strong points of mine. Old school friends are amused to discover that I still embroil myself in scandalous and convoluted situations on a somewhat regular basis, just as I did throughout secondary school. Maybe the situations aren't quite the same; I'd like to think I occasionally learn something. Sometimes it's too easy to envisage my life as a storyline in Sex and the City. Not in the promiscuous-glamourous sense, but in the way that Carrie does that cheesy 'join the dots' analysis on whatever overarching ideal the gang are coming to grips with in any given week.

I guess that comes down to my fondness for analysis. As I said to Joanna today, sometimes I have been known to take this a little too far. There was that time when a certain lad sent me a letter, when I was in first year in Otago. Contents aside, I spent hours agonising over what it could mean that the page wasn't folded exactly flush. What agonies was he suffering? What hidden message was he trying to give me?? You get the picture. So, beware. If you use punctuation in an unorthodox way, I will draw conclusions. If you make random statements capable of misinterpretation, I'll come up with nuances you never dreamed of. While you're at it, exactly why are you wearing that particular t-shirt/top hat/silver fedora? Hell, I'll read into anything. I'm only deluding myself, right? Oh - and entertaining my friends.

7 Comments:

Blogger SingleFin said...

My Dad (who I suspect may be quite wise in his own way) has the philosophy "Moderation in all things. Including moderation itself." Which is a great excuse for a bender every now and then... :)

12:10 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Damn straight. See you there.

Singlefin, I like that modification! Someone should have told the Romans that.

10:21 pm  
Blogger noizy said...

// I can't even remember the last time I ate a pie

You've been on the road with a rock band in the last couple of months and didn't live solely on service stations pies? where's your rock'n'roll spirit?

10:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you used the phrases 'inappropriate crushes' and 'in moderation' on the same page. Since when has that EVER been possible?

Also: guess what I'm listening to right now? And it's too late to just hand it over since it's already in my iPod.

Also: *%$_5><~` - I wonder what I meant by that. Oooh spooky!

xojo

11:32 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

// didn't live solely on service stations pies?

Hell no! You'd be surprised, the boys have rather refined taste - aside from the mandatory stops at virtually every servo we pass for snacks/cigarette breaks (1 smoker out of 5 people - go figure), for meals we tend to stop at supermarkets and spend most of our gig proceeds at the deli section. I had to put on my grumpy face and draw the line at five kinds of cheese and sundried tomatoes though!

// Since when has that EVER been possible?

Quite. As Freddie Mercury said, "I want it all, and I want it now."

2:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

// five kinds of cheese and sundried tomatoes

omg scandal! I know musicians party to excess, but that's way over the top. If I ever profile HSM I will be sure to dig up that scandal.

xojo

hmm maybe I oughta get a blogger blog in addition to everything else so I can stop commenting anonymously.

2:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people are addicted to food. It's true. Others eat junk because it's so convenient. But it's still junk... and eventually your body lets you know you've misused it.

11:25 am  

Post a Comment