November 01, 2004

The Backyard

For the benefit of Mr Kite, here's a picture of a backyard. I say "a" backyard, because I'm not sure that "the" backyard is a real place. The name may be inspired by the backyard of my childhood (partly pictured below), which was a place of magic, adventure and tree-climbing. That backyard no longer exists, being now home to a large carpark. That's another story altogether, and one that has on occasion given rise to melancholy quotations of Joni Mitchell's 'Big Yellow Taxi': "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot."

The above backyard is located at the flat in Mt Victoria out of which I recently moved. It may not look like much, but it's a really nice yard, and we had a lot of good times there. There are a lot of weeds, giving a nice green feel to the otherwise rather concrete aesthetic. Please note the lovely specimen of cordyline australis just over the fence. I do like my cordyline australis. Also note the bits of creeper growing on the trellis - I 'stole' them from the neighbours. Heh, cunning. The plants on the staircase are mine: a variety of succulents spawned from cuttings my brother gave me when I first moved into the place at the end of 2002. Which reminds me, I must relocate them to my new yard. There will be pictures of the new yard sometime soon.

Today as I walked home from work I compiled a brief list of things to be insecure about. Without delving too deep, I came up with:
  1. Whether I'm one of the blogs MediaCow rants about here;
  2. Whether I'm learning anything;
  3. Whether I'm getting a migraine; and
  4. Whether I talk about myself too much.
On reflection, life isn't too bad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

I think as long as you don't turn into an 'earnest, pasty-faced white man' you should be spared from the MediaCow wrath, as unnecessarily bitter as it seems to be.

9:54 am  
Blogger Barry said...

Given that half the posts on the mediacow site seem to be infights between people no-one has ever heard of, and seem to only be important as a result of those fights, the phrase pot kettle black came to mind when I read that. The other half is political commentary of various sorts, and the interweb is, of course, desperately short of that.

I like reading "human" blogs, blogs about people going about their lives. Or wierd automated ones like mine which have bread recipes mixed up with film-watching and book-reading notes but otherwise little of the human. That's because I'm really an alien.

12:04 pm  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

HAh! Hadda laugh when i saw the cheap plastic chair, there. WE've got exactly the same model.

Hah!

neat.

S.

2:51 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Ah you're all lovely people. If I may draw your attention to the far right of the picture, you'll note the green frisbee, which is held together with masking tape - that was a birthday gift from me to Nick-o-love, who promptly hurled it against a telephone pole and broke it. Yes you Nick! But don't worry I still think you're great. Where are you, anyway?

7:46 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

I'll update soon... at least a few pictures anyway. I'm too tired and busy catching up on stuff to do it just yet... but soon.

3:12 am  

Post a Comment