October 23, 2004

More Irrefutable Truths

In case this wasn't enough for you, here are a few further truths (actually written during late December 2004)...
  1. I was born and grew up in Wanganui, New Zealand
  2. My great-great-great-uncle was the first mayor of Wanganui
  3. All my old schools are now demolished/gone
  4. The house I grew up in is gone and the site now hosts a carpark
  5. Sometimes I feel like my past is being erased
  6. I was reading Judy Blume before I started school
  7. When I was 15 I canoed the Whanganui River
  8. I also walked around Mt Taranaki when I was 15
  9. I did enough stuff to get my silver Duke of Ed award but I never bothered to send it in
  10. I had an unhealthy interest in rugby players while at high school and now I have no interest in them (or it) whatsoever
  11. I have four older sisters and one older brother, and I can’t imagine being without any of them
  12. My hair has been as short as 3mm (16 and 18) and as long as 50cm, and I've had dreadlocks as well (19-22)
  13. I don’t drink coffee or fizzy drinks apart from energy drinks (I prefer Lift to V or Red Bull)
  14. I do drink green tea
  15. I don’t smoke cigarettes except in strictly regulated circumstances
  16. I am somewhat partial to THC
  17. I still like schmoozing
  18. When I was 11 we got a dog named Jessie. To avoid confusion we changed the dog’s name to Tessy. There was confusion
  19. I was house captain (Tennyson) in my 7th form year (year 5, final year at high school)
  20. I used to be a kick-ass middle-long distance runner (1500m was my favourite)
  21. I studied at Otago University in Dunedin
  22. I have a green belt in zen do kai
  23. I lived in Copenhagen for 6 months in 2002 on exchange at the Københavns Universitet
  24. I fell in love with Europe, because of places like this and this
    and this
  25. While I was there I learned how to roll inside out joints and
  26. How to open tin cans with those blade openers (since forgotten)
  27. I failed to learn how to open beers with a lighter (since learned, to the detriment of many lighters)
  28. I also visited Norway, England, Germany and Holland
  29. I had some kind of revelation at the Munch Museum in Oslo and art became important to me
  30. I am kind of highly strung, apPARently
  31. I am a qualified lawyer but I also have a BA in politics, philosophy and *cougheconomicscough* although I couldn’t tell you a thing about it
  32. I am sometimes perceived as some kind of slave to commerce, but I assure you that I’m a hippy at heart
  33. I am particularly skilled at getting involved in complex and dramatic situations
  34. I had my nose pierced when I was 15 and it’s still open but I don’t wear a ring
  35. I had my tongue pierced when I was 17 and my teachers freaked that I was setting a bad example
  36. I had my right nipple pierced when I was 18 until I was 23, and what do you know, yesterday I got it re-pierced
  37. I have skateboarded down Dunedin’s Clyde St hill twice: the first time I ended up in a heap against a car and the second time I was dressed entirely in black and it was night and I survived with a large grin
  38. I enjoy melodrama although sometimes not at the time ;)
  39. I have been in love once and I thought I was going to die when it ended. I didn’t
  40. I am an optimist but I also complain a lot, can be delusional on occasion ;) and am largely self-centred
  41. I am a taurean metal monkey
  42. My management company (?!) is called Metal Monkey because of this
  43. I started managing a band because someone else wanted to do it
  44. I stopped managing a band because they didn’t need managing
  45. My first job was a paper run, and my dearly missed mother used to fold the papers for me
  46. I used to work at McDonalds, this was before I knew the word 'corporation'
  47. The longest essay (8000 words) I ever wrote was called "Globalisation and its Effects on Democracy, Sovereignty and Cultural Diversity" or something for a paper called World Society in the light of Social Philosophy that I took at Universitet København. I referenced the Manic Street Preachers
  48. The best paper I ever took was Jurisprudence (300 level law) at Otago (the Matrix is real ;)
  49. The second best was The Fragility of Goodness (400 level philosophy) – we got to study Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Choderlos de Laclos
  50. I am not averse to chemical experimentation although I don't think the precautionary principle is a sufficient safeguard against potential negative effects of GE
  51. According to a fitness test I recently did, my fitness level is Olympic equivalent however given my sedentary lifestyle I find this difficult to believe
  52. I have quite a good voice but I am pretty shy about it unless intoxicated
  53. I have been learning the guitar for over a year but it’s currently being held hostage by my friend Johnny to encourage me to appreciate it
  54. I love chocolate lamingtons
  55. I'm really good at faffing
  56. I have a deep-seated need to explore and can't wait to go overseas again
  57. I knit sometimes
  58. I can juggle
  59. I just want to get along
  60. I have no tattoos. However, my dad has two, my sister has two, and my brother has one. I’d like to get one and I even designed one last year but I can’t decide where to put it and therefore probably shouldn’t get it yet
  61. I once danced on stage with De La Soul
  62. I have written reviews since I was 12 or so - first books then cds. I used to have a column in a free weekly called 'Frankie Talks Music' in which I ripped off other magazines' rumours columns. I'm kind of over it now but I like free stuff
  63. I dj-ed on Radio One for four years, mostly overdrive (7-10pm)
  64. Recently I discovered that I enjoy popping bubble wrap
  65. I had chicken pox when I was 19 - caught it from my scody brother, who later accused me of infecting him!! Way to rewrite history ;)
  66. UPDATE!
  67. I was beaten up twice at age 17 on the streets of Wanganui
  68. This is what lead me to take up zen do kai at 18
  69. After the orthodontic work that I endured from age 8 to 16 was revealed to be an unfunny comedy of errors, I wore braces from age 19 until I was 22. That sucked
  70. Considering the sums that went into no. 68 and the expense of having four wisdom teeth removed (as well as another four) I estimate my teeth have an added value of approximately $20,000
  71. I have a strong tendency towards becoming attached to what is distant and unavailable
  72. This is a work in progress...

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Hi Dandelion! I wrote it over a few weeks... otherwise I knew there'd be stuff I'd want to add. This is likely to happen anyway but at least by hiding it in October I won't have to look at it all the time :)

10:42 pm  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

Awesome.

Really enjoyed readin' you.

I doubt i could do one of these, i think it would just be too depressing. I'd have half the readership topping themselves outta sympathy. And the other half would be... i dunno... running a very looong way away...

=}

Hugenes of love
S.x

3:33 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks Cotard. You've inspired me to add to the list - I've been meaning to for a while. As far as I know the Cook is still standing - and I'm sure the world would hear about it if it wasn't! Dunedin was a great experience.

8:11 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Word... watch this space!

8:24 pm  

Post a Comment