October 12, 2004

Multi-tasking

Well, that's one word for it.

I'm currently running an experiment on myself, which involves combining the number of tasks I have to do and then squaring this figure and multiplying it by the highest prime number and dividing by the sum total minutes of sleep I've had recently and then adding a few more just for good measure.

Listing jobs is pretty boring but just to give an indication of what's going on...I'm going to Auckland on Thursday night, which means getting business cards made and printed, which means figuring out if we need to get a website activated, which decision needs to be made by lunchtime today so I can add it to the business card prior to printing if necessary when I go to check the proof. Factor in the research I would prefer to do on web hosts and domain registration and that's time I don't have. I need to buy a laptop bag at some point today so I can take my work to Auckland with me because I need to sort out band accounts, learn about GST and tax and make a summary of business structures in plain english for people who don't necessarily want to know about them. So I need to understand it all myself. I need to finish packing my life up and confirm that nice Nato is going to help me move house on Monday afternoon. I need to make sure the band posters for our South Island tour are in order and work out where to get them printed to send off next week, and get a profile sorted out for the Package in Christchurch. Tonight is the last in a series of several "Goodbye Nick" functions. I think that might be it. Oh, and the full time job.

I know that the general consensus is that I stress out a lot. But I think that given the pressures I pile on to myself, I actually handle it pretty well. I get stuff done. Sure it's at a cost of having stuff demanded of me virtually every waking minute but for the most part, it's me doing the demanding, and that's better than someone else... if ever there was a time for tired old aphorisms, this is it (and it's a favourite of mine): from great pressure comes diamonds.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really is a tired old aphorism.

WC
xxx

10:08 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yeah, well it's kind of helped me through some pretty dire times of stress, like my 4th year at varsity... although I was reduced to shards by the end of that one.

Anyway I forgot to mention that ONE DAY soon I hope to find the time to visit my brand new niece Isabella! Congratulations Anna and Frazer!

11:23 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Cheers Jimmy, it's all good! Props to Heather.

5:28 am  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

I love tired old aphorisms.

I'm bound to be using that one in the future now... my friends will all be sending death threats to you once they find out where i picked it up from...

It'll all be along the lines of "Don't encourage him! We suffer enough!"
heh! =}
S.x

12:46 pm  
Blogger SingleFin said...

What was I going to say?
Nope, it's gone...
Oh, sod it.

3:03 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Here's a good one courtesy of Marilyn: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I like that. And this one is just plain cheese, but it did help me to survive my flight back from Auckland this evening, in a rather hungover state: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

11:18 am  
Blogger Tam said...

I always liked: "It's a good thing to walk a mile in someone else's shoes, that way, when you do judge them you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Might be a bit long for an aphorism.

3:17 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

As long as it's "short and pithy" it's all good!

5:16 am  

Post a Comment