September 23, 2004

If there's no music, what is there?

Today the smoke cds sale began. I got there at 10:10am. It was packed full of trainspotters, much like a bar without the beer - squashy, a bit smelly, generally good-natured and much mutterings about music.

Now, twelve hours later, I'm enjoying the fruits of my labour. I've listened to the self-titled album from Sloe Moe about four times, played through Giant Spheres by Sleepers Union, daydreamed through Central Reservation by Beth Orton, and I've still got Strays by Jane's Addiction (plus never before seen live footage!) and Between Darkness and Wonder by Lamb to go.

Just a quick detour to listen to Swim Up Stream by Fang. I've not listened to it for a while; I lent my spare copy to my flatmate who's been raving about it and today I posted the other spare copy to a friend in Dunedin, so it's time for a refresher.

What would I write about if I couldn't write about music? I could talk about how cold the wind is that blows through my walls. How I'm supposed to be going to Bodega tonight to see Hawnay Troof with Die! Die! Die! and the Coolies, only I'm too tired - but that's indirectly related. How none of my flatmates are home, but the television is still on when I go downstairs. Ho-hum.

The good news is that I've nearly finished the stuff that's been keeping me busy this week, right on cue for Libby to arrive tomorrow for the weekend. Also I've discovered how to check my productivity at work - figured out how to access the statistics generated by my billing timer - it's giving me something to aim for which is a good motivator.

I'd like to give a shout out to the kind people of this world. I know I'm guilty of being distinctly unkind on occasion; here's hoping that net kindness outweighs its opposite. Yep, there's a story in there - but it's not one for telling, not just yet.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

How did you like Between Darkness and Wonder btw? I'd tag the best track as Angelica but thought the whole album really paled in comprison to What Sound -- which is frustrating because I love me some Lamb!

4:43 pm  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

Yaay! Lamb! tres cool! I keep meaning to get some o' that... on a proper format MP3 or cd... only got 'em on tape... i remember reviewing them for a fanzine, some years ago... but.... i always think their albums could be even better... anyone else feel that way about them?

Kinda fab, but not as fab as they should/could be?

I keep expecting them to make an absolutely incredible album, but they always fall a little short.

8:29 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

My introduction to Lamb was via Kruder & Dorfmeister's K&D Sessions, a remix of a song called 'Trans Fatty Acid'. It's lovely, as is every other track on the album! (I don't have the double CD, just the limited edition preview disc).

After a couple of listens, I'd file it along with the Supreme Beings of Leisure, Moloko - that sort of thing. A nice companion for the Beth Orton, actually. The 'Angelica' track is lovely, I also like 'Wonder'. I can't compare it though, because it's the first Lamb album I've owned.

8:48 pm  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

Oh, aye! i always think Lamb are good to listen to... haven't heard the latest stuff... just up to now, i've always hoped for them to blast me through the stratosphere and keep me there... perhaps they've finally done it with this one? i dunno, but yon singers got a great voice. Dead interesting, like.

Ha! i seem to be writing in a slightly Lancashire (my home county) accent today...

7:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not really anonymous jess - just way lazy (you totally know that). just to say that we've had the... er.. "pleasure" of seeing hawnay troof live and they stink. proper. i sold their cd for, like, 2 pence. anyway, love you! org xx

12:00 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

:-O

That's my shocked face - cher Aud, thanks for posting! Wondered if you were still out there somewhere. Love you too!

Final tally: 8 cds and 2 12"s: also got Dzihan & Kamien, a Sofa Surfers comp, the Sola Rosa Ready Now EP and a nicely limited edition the Nomad single.

1:48 am  

Post a Comment