September 13, 2004

Dimmer and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

On Saturday night I was on door duty at Indigo, and I was in Fine Form. Ne'er a happier door girl did you meet. Ghostplane opened, sounding good... I gotta admit you can't see fuck all from the door, there's this great army camo netting thing in the way. Dimmer played such a gratuitously long set that I was able to abandon the door for brief seconds (I left my bro in charge) to rock out a little. Shayne Carter was cool; afterwards sifting about by the green room, as you do, I asked him about a song that I'd recognised but didn't know the name of. "Hey, what's the name of that song where the guitar goes 'ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree'?" [Insert sound not unlike the murder scene in Psycho but actually a cool guitar thing happening]. "Crystalator," he replied. Awww! Band-aid indeed.

I went to Bonnie 'Prince' Billy on Sunday evening, again at Indigo. It was totally sold out, packed to the gills in spite of the cold and rainy weather. I'd never heard Will Oldham apart from a few minutes in the car on the way there, so I was totally mesmerised by the performance. Lovely. I was mostly captivated by the woman playing accordion. Dressed in a striped summer dress and striped socks, she appeared like a child, and had a beautiful vocal style, reminded me a little of whatsherface from the Cranberries. In one early song there was a part where she and Will howled like dogs. Came across better than I make it sound! The crowd sang her happy birthday too. In-between-song-banter seemed to consist of moronic individuals seeking enlightenment as to the question, "How was your flight?" I suppose I just wanted to hear him tell us how great New Zealand is. Ho-hum!

I finished the Coupland book I was reading: "Hey Nostradamus!". It was pretty sobering. About loneliness, disappearing friends, loneliness, questioned faith, loneliness, living and dying alone, more loneliness - no wonder I felt a bit melancholy on Sunday. I've started to re-read Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" for some light relief.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger The Saturnyne said...

ahh, i've got some of that Palace Brothers stuff... 'tis indeed lovely... mebbe yer like The Red House Painters, too? An' Cat Power(s?)? Smog? An' i'm almost certain now, that ye'd like my fave band and singer... (see previous rants on selfs blog)

=}

3:11 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Supergood: probably not, I've read them before; it's more of a diversion before I get into Rupert Thomson's 'Air and Fire'. (His 'Book of Revelation' is truly amazing.)

Sat: I imagine you are correct. Must do some research ... thanks!

10:09 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yes I have read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Didn't like it as much. No I am not psyched about the movie. Can't see how they could do justice to it... not a big movie fan (they take two hours!! Two hours of your life!!!)

Where you been anyway Jimmy? I thought you might go see the Chandeliers last night @ Indigo.

2:27 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

www.thepackage.co.nzThe Brunettes gig sounds interesting for sure. Hot Swiss are playing on the 1st at the Cross, along with Cookapie and the Elephantmen - $5 - worth a look!!

8:11 pm  

Post a Comment