August 24, 2004

"Burning the candle...

...at both ends" is a great metaphor. The image it evokes perfectly portrays the feeling of impending collapse, implosion, destruction and inevitably, burnout.

On that note, the gig at Indigo last night went well and improved my mood enormously. A quick stop by the green room prior to Hot Swiss Mistress' performance is quite likely the reason for my hyper sensitivity to whether the bass was too loud and the vocals too quiet - but James the soundman took my apologetic suggestions well. And it sounded fine. Thanks to everyone who came along.
Next gig: supporting Fang at Happy on Saturday September 4. Should be excellent. Fang's new album 'Swim Up Stream' is a dark pop masterpiece, and you should all buy it right now. In fact, buy two copies. Send one to your sister in London! She might even write you an email.
A night out was exactly what I needed. Work has been like a battlezone lately. My boss is still sick. Every time the phone rings I flinch, wondering which client it's going to be, and whether I'll be able to help them. The last few days have been pretty trying. I've been overseeing (overseeing? That suggests precision and understanding... More like poking gingerly with a stick) a large commercial property transaction, trying to sort out the mortgage documentation, attend to disclosure, and generally figure out stuff that I've never seen before. Oh, fun times have been had! Time spent crying in office: approximately 38 minutes. Time spent tugging at hair and gazing at the sky beyond the buildings across the road: 49 minutes. Time spent contemplating leaving and never ever returning: a lot.

Hopefully my boss will be back in tomorrow. Then I'll get to relate my fumbling attempts at professionalism and general 'in-control'ness and he'll get to be exasperated and dumbfounded. Yeah, should be good times.

Am I totally insane to imagine I can cope with the demands of managing a band while holding down a stressful full time job?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey wow, that Salient review is awesome! Heh. So were HSM. I want a tshirt!

11:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm not actually anonymous Jess, it's Anna and I'm feeling too lazy to do this properly. Glad the gig went well, stop eating so much sugar and thanks for coming to my party the other night even tho I sucked at the knitting thing!!

5:23 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Anna you don't know the half of it. When I got home last night I had (among other things) a pinky bar, a whole bag of pineapple lumps (I don't think I chewed) and half a bag of wine gums. I forgot to bring the other half to work today and I have been chastising myself all day.
For clarification, we were knitting with matchsticks... *throws down gauntlet*
Jo: no longer anonymous! Nice.

5:28 am  
Blogger SingleFin said...

You burn that candle. Incinerate it's waxy arse off. Sleep's just practice for being dead.

4:26 pm  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

I expect he has a highly trained monkey anna typewriter with cunningly placed mirrors on either side of it to confuse probability in a highly profound and meaningful way...

Hi Jessie! nice of you to drop by The Lounge... it occurs to me, that if we can find a bathroom, a bedroom, and a kitchen blog then we can almost have a virtual house between us =}

12:46 am  
Blogger SingleFin said...

Heh he - love the monkey idea! The one liners come naturally - I'm afraid I don't have the confidence for a two-liner in public just yet, but I'm working on it. :)

12:06 pm  

Post a Comment