August 16, 2004

kicking back

Last night Bryn, Amelia and I watched Cold Mountain. I had an inspired walk home from work: I stopped by Arty Bees and impulsive-bought two books ('The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold - someone possibly from nzm? recommended it, and 'Fierce People' by Dirk Wittenborn), then I went to the video shop and got said movie. Mondays are great, everything's half price. I used to have this great habit of getting out two or three movies on a Monday and then spending the rest of the week trying really hard to go to bed early and watch them. I believe that watching movies is a skill... it is quite hard to sit still for that long. However, not such a problem when there's Jude Law to gaze upon and Jack White to watch for. And Renee Zellweger is also pretty cher.

These enticements had Amelia and I on the edge of our seats, w a i t i n g for Ada and Inman's reunion, but it seemed Bryn was not so fixated and he was yelled at on numerous occasions for "texting too loud" and for allowing the light from his cellphone to illuminate his face. I mean, it's Jude Law! Silence is demanded. It was a really long movie, with much sighing and wailing towards the end. At least Jack's character didn't get shot. And how sweet, to call a boy Georgia. Bryn didn't make it to the end, and as I passed his door he asked how the movie had ended. SPOILER! I said, "Everyone got shot! Oh ... everyone except Georgia, and Ruby, and Ada, and Ruby's dad... yeah Inman got shot." "Who by?" "The evil blonde guy - but he shot him at the same time!"

In other news, Hot Swiss Mistress have scored the support slot for a gig in a few weeks' time which I am Quite Pleased about... watch this space, I want to keep it to myself for a bit longer!!

I've got this annoying credit at amplifier that I can't decide what to use for... maybe the new Trinity Roots? Seeing as I seemed to be the only person in Wellington who didn't go to the gig on Saturday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pickwick said...

Cold Mountain was good, wasn't it! I normally hate Renee, but she was actually quite good in it... please don't let anyone I know ever find out I actually said that! :-)

The Lovely Bones is fantastic! I hope you enjoy it. I read it last summer back-to-back with The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, which I also strongly recommend.

How dare I recommend books to a complete stranger? The arrogance....

8:37 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Recommend away! I appreciate suggestions. Might I suggest to you 'The Vintner's Luck' by Elizabeth Knox? It's brilliant. I'm on my second read and it's even better than the first.

10:18 pm  

Post a Comment