July 27, 2004

It's hard to find the time

If I had time to write a post, there are some things I would like to talk about. I'd like to write about how great the Brunettes gig was on Saturday at Bodega (Hot Swiss were excellent). I'd like to say how I enjoyed meeting Joanna, and how Matthew far exceeded my expectations. If I had time, I'd say how I dashed between bars and managed to catch part of Paselode's set, which was rockin' - the boys were in fine form!! I'd say a big thank you to Nato for getting Rhys back to Wellington with loads of time to spare, and for being so gracious about it. New friend Michael from Kentucky would get a mention; so would Silas. Sunday would rate as far as being a stunning day goes, although yet again my head was hanging out far above the surface of the earth where my body lagged a little. Who could blame me for rash behaviour?

I might write about how I went to my first film festival movie: Animation Now! which to be honest does not deserve the exclamation mark. I thought it fell short of the last few years' collections. It may have been my hangover, but there were too many abstract jumpy weird-ass animations for my liking. I could say how I was supposed to go to the Kotahitanga gig at Indigo, but I was too tired so I only went home to Georgie's where I was fed (thanks Ness!) and finally saw 'Whale Rider'. (It was okay.)

I might even go on and write about how Monday was such a drag; how I bought tickets for the Spike Jonze Rarities film, and tried to cope with the choices before me at Subway. I miss Sandwich King. (Anyone from Dunedin? SK is far superior: they have whole grain mustard!! It used to get all stuck in my braces but I ate it anyway...)

And today: Hot Swiss Mistress were fantastic on Good Morning! If anyone wants to see it, and I actually know you and won't be weirded out, e-mail me (there's a link on the sidebar) and we'll arrange a Viewing.

Finally, if I had a spare moment I'd direct your attention to the link in the sidebar called Rådhuspladsen, which takes you to a webcam view over the Town Hall Square in København. This view was a deciding factor in my choice to spend six months in wonderful Copenhagen a few years back. Today when I looked at it the sun was just beginning to rise, and it took me back to those short short summer nights when the sun would never really go down, and the true darkness of night lasted only an hour or so, with a band of light always to the east. (Feel free to rain on my parade and tell me the sun would have been in the west.) Going to bed around 2am the birds would already be singing... and I always wondered, when do they sleep?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

One day I arranged with a friend in Dunedin that at a certain time I would stand in the Rådhuspladsen (town hall square) and wave up at the camera, mounted high up on the Politiken (daily newspaper) building. That was kinda special.

The building which is all lit up at night to the right of the Rådhus (town hall) is Tivoli, the "pleasure gardens". I used to stand outside the Rådhus, across the road from Tivoli (next to the Hans Christian Andersen statue), and watch the fireworks light up in the sign. I never got sick of it.

6:06 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

You mean you don't want to leave? Just spread your wings and go check some stuff out? There's a hell of a lot to see beyond our wee backwater!

10:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're never going to find time to update now that KoL has ensnared you!

xojo

1:19 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hey, like I said: I like a challenge.

3:16 am  

Post a Comment