July 16, 2004

Creating Heat

Wait for it - just about... Ah! Friday Euphoria! Oh, how I love thee Friday. What a hellish week. Band projects have been spiralling and cumulating into enormous tangled knots, work has thrown up all manner of seemingly impregnable problems, and my health is suffering.... ah, did I mention my fondness for melodrama? At least as far as the band goes, I have only to remind myself that I am having fun: this is fun! And it is coming together.

But work is another story. Last night I had a Rejection-themed dream in which I lost my job, amongst other forms of rejection which need not be explored here. You see, yesterday I Broke an Ethical Rule. Ah, that sinking feeling of having screwed up and yet again given my boss reason to doubt not only my intelligence but also my understanding of basic ethical principles... Lucky for me it was but a minor transgression and easily resolved.

But it's Friday so I need not think of such things. Tonight I'm going to a party to witness Voodoo Savage and his Savages play their actual last ever gig. Should be good times. And tomorrow there's a mid winter party at Island Bay Studios. Destination Moon!

The title of this post refers to a book called 'Creating Heat: Tumata Kia Whita!' which I received in the mail today. It outlines 'a strategy to ignite the economic and cultural potential of the New Zealand music industry'. Now I have two copies. Great ... how much do they spend on these things anyway? Why did I get one?? Although it does make me feel slightly special, as if my thoughts are valued on this topic... must try and get beyond the amusing first page story about Moana Maniapoto in Detroit being blown away by "an all black congretation [singing] gospel songs with great passion and in voices from heaven itself" and then freaking out about having to perform for the said congregation. The punchline is that her waiata caused one onlooker to comment:
"I didn't know what she was saying but it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck."
Apparently,
"This is what our music does."
(Read more about the strategy here and here.)

It's stuff like this that makes me determined to survive the next two years plus of my job. I know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I'm lucky to be firmly walking the path I set myself. After weeks like this one - and I know there are many more tests ahead - I need the encouragement.

PS Ahahaa just heard an ad on Active for Rapture Gold!! (Exclamation marks compulsory). Tempting nonetheless...

PPS Fuckin' fantastic Friday playlist... aka friday euphoria on friday:
Mazurra: Calexico (Spoke)
Summer Babe (Winter Version): Pavement (Slanted & Enchanted)
I Love Lo Fi: Flash Harry (Flash Harry)
Models: The Fanatics (A Low Hum 8)
Octagon, Octagon, Octagon: Mint Chicks (Octagon, Octagon, Octagon)
Sputnik: Dappled Cities Fly (A Low Hum 8)
Nothing To Do: Cassette (Emo)
All The Pretty Horses: Calexico (Aerocalexico)
Bag Of Money: Barnaby (Eco Nation)
Helpless: Faith No More (Album Of The Year)
Crack Dub: Hallelujah Picassos (Hateman In Love)
The Place is Surrounded: SJD (Southern Lights)
Light: Cornerstone Roots (Soul Revolution)
Soy La Candela: Sabor (Jambalaya 2004))
Slowpoke: Phelps & Munro (Slowpoke)
Knives Out: The Flaming Lips (Fight Test EP)
Lazy Calm: Cocteau Twins (Sunday Best 3)
Preachin' To My Baby: The Artistry (Grey Lynn Park Festival Compilation)
Broken Bricks: The White Stripes The White Stripes)
Senegal Champions of Africa: The Black Seeds On the Sun)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Cher bro, that's the ticket.

11:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

personally I think music is the best way for encouraging oneself (much more when Im not a books reader); yesterday when I was down (I had been talking with friend whose father died is a car crash past week), driving back to my village, Paco de Lucia (who has win an award)played on the radio ... and those classic guitar strings vibrating was like food to my soul and invaded my body ... thats life!
turn it up!
cheer up jess!

11:53 am  

Post a Comment