April 09, 2006

REALLY

Last night I announced to a room full of rock musicians that I would buy an electric guitar, "and embrace my destiny." Today I spent a fruitless hour driving the central city in search of a music store that would sell me some strings; my beautiful acoustic guitar having languished for many months now with two snapped strings. No A and no D, leaving little room for experimentation. All the shops were shut.

In my frustration, tyres screamed as I left each intersection behind, windows wound down to try and decrease the dampness in the car, stereo turned up to try and drown out the overwhelming silence. I've been to this place before. If I had an electric guitar, I would play it really loud with heaps of distortion until the silence was gone. (Better that than to get behind the wheel.)

When I got home I discovered that my flatmate has a great-sounding steel-stringed acoustic, so I banged away on that for a couple of hours, until a blister started to form on my index finger. Nervous energy abounds today. I've just had to go for a run.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparantely soaking your fingers in meths can harden them. I just play on until the blisters turn to callouses though. Once you get some sweet callouses on the tips of your fingers then you've got no worries, unless you stop playing guitar and they fade away.

7:56 pm  
Blogger Hannah said...

so you had yourself a good time saturday night?

12:52 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Fading away is okay Jimmy, I think I believe in reincarnation.

Han nah, yeah I had a good night Saturday, I have some photos to post one of these days. As for Friday - now there's a story.

12:13 pm  

Post a Comment