March 13, 2006

I never used to watch this much tv.

If my sitemeter is any gauge - which it is - it would appear that the recently released American version of Pride and Prejudice has done okay. More precisely, young Matthew McFaddyen seems to have garnered much attention, which I assume is largely favourable. That's my deduction - how many people image-search for people they can't stand?

Last year I posted a picture of said actor, upon hearing of his audacity in portraying the much-revered character of Fitzwilliam Darcy, from Jane Austen's masterpiece novel (we in the know like to call it 'P&P'). In the last couple of months, I estimate that upwards of 75% of traffic through this humble yard has been in pursuit of Mr McFaddyen. I am guessing that these pursuers are disappointed by what they find.

And I feel much the same, having last night watched the American take on the classic. After considering what a remake could possibly have to offer after the BBC nailed it so elegantly in its 1995 production, I concluded that the only possible virtue is that its length has been trimmed from six to two hours. Only it didn't hold my attention. So much of the story and the beautiful characterisations were shorn that I found myself struggling to follow the plot - and this is from one who can practically recite the entire BBC script. (Yes. I have read the book.)

I'm probably biased. It is true that McFaddyen did become more attractive towards the end. So that's something, I suppose. But please, fans of the 2005 version - have a look at the BBC series. Take the time to get to know the characters, and find yourself reciting lines like, "Had you behaved in a more gentleman-like manner!!" out of context with your girlfriends.

Now, bonus tv extra!

Blah blah ipod blah blah Lost blah sooo, I've been watching a tv series called Weeds, and today I decided to check out the soundtrack, convinced I'd heard a few Mountain Goats songs. Imagine my surprise to see this imdb forum naming the Black Seeds and Fly My Pretties on episode one! I totally missed them... if you're interested, take a look at this google-cached page which has the same listings along with soundtrack info.

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul Capewell said...

Ooh how intriguing, I like a nice bit of product-placement-by-music. I've heard of Weeds but nothing more so I'll dig out a torrent or three.

Paul

3:29 pm  
Blogger Peter McLennan said...

i've been hanging out to see Weeds, sounds like Desperate Housewives, but good.

8:27 pm  
Blogger llew said...

Funny what brings the punters - my runner up is Aishwarya Rai (Bride & Prejudice, what a coincidence!!), but my no. 1 drawcard is a picture of a St Berdoodle, which is, a cross between a St Bernard & poodle (For the love of god, WHY?). And I was rude about them once (or twice).

8:57 pm  
Blogger limegreen said...

I'm not an *extreme* fan of the old BBC series, although I am rather fond of it. I didn't find that new version as aversive as you imply it might be. I took particular delight in Donald Sutherland's re-birth of Mr Bennett, which was probably the high point of the new movie for me. I also saw the new one at Metro, which probably puts a positive spin on it as well...

1:43 am  
Blogger miss_seph said...

Limegreen hit the nail on the head for me - Mr Bennett was absolutely brilliant in the remake - he embodied the sarcasm and quiet wit that I garnered from his character in the book, compared with his counterpart in the bbc miniseries. I barely remember Mr Bennett in the miniseries.

I noticed that in the new version, most people watching it, that had not read the book or seen the BBC version, would not pick up the ridicule that Lizzie and Jane had to put up with, in the form of their mother and their sisters in the Highfield Ball scene. They would not know that propriety held a great deal of influence over most people, thus they wouldn't know that that ball was nearly the complete ending of Jane and Elizabeth as eligible girls.

I think that Jena Malone did a wonderful job of Lydia Bennett, portraying her flighty, flouncy, borderline slutty nature to a tee. All the actors did good to their characters, except for Mr Darcy, who will never ever ever be quite right unless he's Colin Firth.

:D

11:23 pm  

Post a Comment