February 07, 2006

Thwarted

Before I continue with my big day out adventures - or before I attempt to disguise the lengths I went to in order to secure side-of-stage viewing for one of the most influential bands in my experience - perhaps a bit of stream-of-consciousness-ing.

Waitangi Day fell on a Monday this year, which means a long weekend for New Zealanders. I had hoped to go to the Soundsplash festival held in Raglan, as I did last year, but funds and lack of organisation meant instead I stayed put in Auckland. But I did manage something pretty special - three consecutive days at the beach! Can I get a round of applause for the beautiful facilities on offer at Devonport! We visited Cheltenham, which was lovely if somewhat shallow, then had two further days at Narrow Neck. I was bowed down beneath a particularly heavy cloud of hangover on Sunday, and I knew that the beach was my only hope of salvation. (It salvated wonderfully.) Also, briefly checked out Groove in the Park at the Domain on Monday - ups to Sal Dub but downs to people who feel that spread blankets are sufficient to colonise an area to the exclusion of all others, even in the midst of what has become the dancefloor. Ha, analogise that.

Now it's Tuesday, and I've spent the day on the front line here at the Office (as opposed to the office, which is next door). I don't mind answering the phones and the like, but I do find it hard staying put at reception. There always seems to be something that needs doing elsewhere... like important missions to buy candy to prop us through those difficult mid-afternoon hours.

Now it's very close to home-time, and I've heard there are drinks to be drunk in the near vicinity. But - thwarted! Where's the justice?! I write something vaguely timely and blogger is outaging. Appalling.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter McLennan said...

oh yes, I managed to jump in the sea three days in a row too - how great is that???? I was so relaxed by monday evening I never wanted to go to work again

9:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish we all could live lives as glamorous as you, jess. thinking of you heaps recently - lydia had a valentine making party last night, which so reminded me of last year. wellington misses you! i miss you!

love marilyn

9:47 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Marilyn, no no no no! I hate to give the impression there's any glamour whatsoever.

I would have loved to come to Lydia's valentine-making party... although I would be stretching to think of anyone to send one to!

(Sad ass)

10:20 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Rhetorical question, Jimmy

8:06 pm  

Post a Comment