February 02, 2006

Home Again

Last night I flew from Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport back home to Auckland. My flight didn't land until 12:30am, which is of course not a good time to hope for someone to pick me up, no matter how sympathetic. Unless I came up with an alternative, I was destined for a slow shuttle ride home.

My solution, of course, was to befriend the businessman next to me, in order to blag a cab ride into the city. I'm not quite that scheming, but it did work out nicely. Here's how it happened. Unlike the joys of on-demand entertainment I experienced on my outward flight, the only choice this time was one of those child-bonds-with-wild-animal films so I was forced to do something I've never done before... get drunk on a plane.

Why on earth did I wait so long? It was great! It could be that I'm a lightweight, but isn't it also true that high altitude speeds up the effects of alcohol? YES IT DOES. About two hours into the flight, when the Australian businessman to my right spilled his scotch and dry over his lap, conversation commenced with his asking me for a tissue. Fast forward to the taxi ride into the city, along with the Canadian businessman, and the idea of further drinking was floated. Well, ol' rubber-arm couldn't say no to that, could she?

The Coco Room on Fort Lane is pretty cool. I wasn't really digging their choice of music - Chilis: okay, Sublime: no - but the decor is very nice. The rest is history. Does that story even make sense?

Now, I'm going to attempt a series of posts about my Big Day Out experience, Melbourne-style. Let's see how we go.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Capewell said...

Fantastic. Jetsetting, drunk, flirtatious... This is the good stuff. Haha :) Glad you had fun.

Are you seeing him again or did I read wrong?

I could do with a trip to Melbourne if this is the status quo...

paulie

4:31 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Uh-oh, did I give that impression?! No, all perfectly innocent!

8:22 pm  
Blogger Paul Capewell said...

Oooh, my bad, sorry!

paul

11:20 pm  

Post a Comment