January 13, 2006

Goats.

Something I have known with absolute certainty since childhood was shown to be utterly and completely false last weekend.

I sat with a group of friends at Myers Park, with the sound of Sola Rosa continuing on in the background. I noticed the metal panel encircling the trunk of nearby (and very tall) palm tree, a good distance up from the trunk's base.

I mentioned to my companions, "You know how they put those metal rings on trees and wooden telephone poles to stop goats climbing them..." I didn't get any further. The incredulous, "Are you on crack?" exclamations and ill-stifled laughs caused me to question what I've always known.

Do goats not climb trees?

10 Comments:

Blogger Paul Capewell said...

Oh jessie. :(

paulie

12:41 am  
Blogger Hannah said...

It's a common misconception that they don't.

They do, however, just only special trees - with knicks in the trunks for their little hooves.

They have a real problem with goats within the inner-city. Terrible.

2:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes They Do

I hope that link worked.

6:25 am  
Blogger Barry said...

Haha - but are they not to stop possums? They certainly are on power poles.

8:47 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Jimmy, that picture rules!! Awesome.

9:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are for stopping possums on powerpoles, but unless the tree is separate from all the others no self respecting possum would need to crawl up the trunk.

5:49 pm  
Blogger Miramar Mike said...

Tree climbing goats ... much like the very rare but extrememly dangerous Southern Tree Crocodile that a friend of mine convinced his English Mother-in-law existed and to be aware of on their travels through the South Island. She was worried.

9:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Crap! That Jimmy dude must be totally awesome to find links that totally rad. I think I wet my pants!

6:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the funniest story I have heard in ages - I had a similar thing happen with pineapples growing on trees.

See you in a couple of days Jess - yay BDO!!!

Jane

9:55 pm  
Blogger llew said...

Actually, goats CAN climb trees to some extent, I know of someone whose goats took up residence in their treehouse.

but I suspect the real reason is the possums.

2:55 am  

Post a Comment