February 02, 2006

Intro, and The Magic Numbers

Melbourne was hot. I arrived on Australia Day, aka Triple J Hottest 100 Day, and it had to be at least 40 degrees. I've never experienced such heat! Metaphors included constant and magnified exposure to an electric fan heater, a hair dryer, a convection oven, and a rotisserie chicken.

Thankfully the temperature never got that high again, hovering around the early- to mid-thirties on Sunday 30 January. Big Day Out day. In keeping with her most gracious of hostesses mode, Stacey arranged a champagne breakfast to kick off the day in style. We sat in her yard, sipping bubbles, our excitement simmering nicely as the sounds of the BDO drifted across North Carlton.

After a somewhat circuitous taxi ride, we got to Princes Park around 2:30pm. In spite of expectations there seemed to be only one sniffer dog, and it was asleep. Good. Straight to the Essential stage, which along with the adjacent Green stage was sheltered beneath an enormous marquee. We found it surprisingly easy to make our way forward to a good vantage point for the Magic Numbers' set, and it was so! good! Happy clappy yearny pop goodness, and by the end I just wanted to give them all - particularly lead singer Romeo - a big hug. Oops, holiday crush number one :)

The conclusion to my Magic Numbers experience occurred three days later, as I walked across the bridge over the Yarra towards the National Gallery of Victoria. A late model white car slid past me, with Romeo in the passenger seat. As sometimes happens with celebrities, I forgot I don't know him and gave him a big grin. What a sweetie... she says, having never spoken to the man in her life. But look at him! He must be.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

they are the most stranger-hug-inducing band ever. ever.

8:51 am  
Blogger Paul Capewell said...

I had no idea you were off to Melbourne for Big Day out, lucky. I thought it was for work or something. Nice one :)

paulie

4:32 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

It was for Big Day Out, Paul, which is also work - so you were kind of right! But no work for me this time around - just play :) Next episode: the Kings of Leon. Now that's swoon-worthy!

10:21 pm  
Blogger Paul Capewell said...

I had a feeling it was... I don't actually know what you do though! Sorry. I've never asked before because it's not my place to.

But thats fairly decent :)

Paul

11:22 pm  

Post a Comment