February 21, 2006

Oscar

I just saw Walk The Line. It's past midnight on a Tuesday, so you can imagine that for me to have fired up the laptop and be writing this post as my flatmate Brian plays through his Johnny Cash catalogue, it must be a good movie. It's a great movie.

I'm just a few pages off finishing 'The Colonel: The Extraordinary Story of Colonel Tom Parker and Elvis Presley' by Alanna Nash, so I particularly appreciated the scenes of the Texarkana tours early on in the film, where Cash toured alongside Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and June Carter. Sweet, sweet synergy. Anyhow, 'Walk The Line' is largely a love story. It's so romantic... endless touring, alcohol and drug abuse, fishing... be still my heart! (No prizes for guessing what I'll be reading next.)

It's hard to connect the Cash in the film with the Cash in the sole recording of his which I own (so far), American IV. Yeah, the one that everyone, including me, bought when he died in September 2003, just four months after the death of June Carter. Not to say Joaquin Phoenix didn't sound amazing - he did sound amazing, as did Reese Witherspoon - but by the time Cash did the American recordings, his voice had really weathered.

Everyone should see this movie. Dad, you should see this movie! (Even if you have to drive to Palmerston North, go see it - you'll love it.) I have now seen three movies in eight days. This is possibly a world record. Someone should have reminded me about cheap Tuesdays long ago.

9 Comments:

Blogger Martha Craig said...

Funny, I came home obsessed with Johnny and June and had to look up everything I could find on the internet.

I love that they chose an Elvis that wasn't too over the top. It was great.

6:09 pm  
Blogger llew said...

Just a finicky question, how did you manage 3 cheap tuesdays in 8 days?

8:43 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw this movie too, didn't even know what it was about so went in totally unaware - should do that more often! Fan-bloody-tastic :D

9:33 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Llew, there were two Tuesdays and one freebie thanks to Heather.

Meg, I recommend Capote - also an Oscar contender - but I don't recommend Munich unless you're into lots of shooting and bombs.

9:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Walk the Line on Monday and I loved it. The acting was so good.

And now I really want the Folsom Prison album, I have his other prison concert, San Quentin, and I love it.

11:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've always liked Johnny Cash... but only in the last 10 years (since American Recordings) has it been anywhere near OK to admit it amongst people I know. :-)

That line in Folsom Prison Blues: "I shot a man in Reno / just to see him die" followed by the cheers of the inmates, gives me the shivers every time I hear it. You never want to ever meet a man like that.

And we're just hanging out to see Walk the Line (especially now that we seem to have missed King Kong...)

11:53 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

I haven't seen 'King Kong' either, or 'Narnia', even though I was talking it up big time! Maybe next Tuesday.

12:47 am  
Blogger Hannah said...

hallo, sorry I wasn't very enthusiastic today. Sleep deprivation has me down. So does working a lot for free. Next time I promise to be much MUCH more friendly - but it was nice to meet you today! I was beyond impressed with the line up today - The Bats in THE QUAD. Last year it was The Fast Crew. Very significant step forwards.

8:50 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

All good.. the Bats thought the American Embassy was in Auckland, so they booked their flights, when it's actually in Wellington - so they figured they'd play a gig while they were here. Suits me. Catch you next time.

9:25 pm  

Post a Comment