April 13, 2006

It's practically Friday again. Already.

Now that it's less than two weeks until I turn 26, there are some things I want to say. Most of them I will keep to myself. However, do read on.

This past year I have discovered several things, among them olives, avocadoes, and how to parallel park. My enduring love for stationery has been affirmed, particularly for paperclips (the round metal ones), post-its, and now also sharpies and gaffer tape.

Ten months ago I quit my job in commercial law and ran away to join the circus. Through this I've been exposed to the insides of a rather different world. Different to what I expected... but where I want to be, in some form or other. Although if I'm honest about where I want to be...

Foremost on my mind right now is dealing with a burning desire to get the fuck out of here. The timing of this reawakening is due to several factors. The approach of the deadline I set myself last year - that I would celebrate my 26th birthday in London. Recent and lengthy discussions on one of my favourite topics, the wonderful city of Copenhagen. The fact that most of those I toured with recently are soon to relocate to the UK for two months. My sister Katy, resident of London, is shortly to have her second child. The general migration of friends-of-Jessie to the other side of the world.

There's a photo of me, standing in a queue at Heathrow, set to board one of three flights that would return me home in 2002. My face says it all - uncertainty and unwillingness about my return, as well as a pall of sickness due to the shitty pot I'd been smoking (not a patch on Christiania's finest). When I was amongst it, I swore I'd be back in Europe as soon as I had finished uni, done profs and got a bit of cash behind me. I've been back in New Zealand almost four years and still I have no particular plans to return - but I think I'll start making them. I am craving the stimulation of the Old World. I want to lose myself in it.

I'm hoping that seeing Sigur Ros on Monday will blow my mind just a little, in the meantime. Going to check out Gina Birch tonight at the Odeon, too, along with Chris Knox.

Other things. I think I've neglected to mention just how much I'm enjoying Luke Buda's solo album, Special Surprise. It's been called future pop - smart, textured, and lush to the point of luscious. Somewhat related, I'm positively champing to see the Phoenix Foundation play at the KA on 19 May.

Also, I've finally come up with some New Year's resolutions.
  1. Get back to the music, and depending on that stupid trademe slag paying me back my $270, buy an electric guitar.
  2. Become a rally driver.
I'd like to finish by saying -

Dip me in sentimentality and throw me squarely at Hallmark.

(Ups to Harvestbird for the inspiration: here's hoping there's at least a few "I Wuv You"-emblazoned teddy bears to break my fall.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how come you want to leave New zealand? I thought it would be a really good place to live. Although I started reading the news lately and I guess there's a lot of murders going on around there. But I figured when WWIII happened New zealand would be a good place to be. Anyway tell me what you think.

3:55 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Well, Anonymous, like I said I'm much enamoured of Europe and we've hardly spent any time together but I just know it's a relationship worth developing. It's not so much about leaving NZ as it is about seeing the world and then probably coming back here when I need some clean air and undeniable boundaries.

4:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's hoping Sigur Ros does it for you - when I saw them in Brisbane, they didn't quite blow my mind, but the night was good enough that I'm up for a repeat on Monday.

Barry

7:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna see the Phoenicians at the Kings Arms.

1:25 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Nelson! Where've you been, my friend? And yeah, you're right, but part of me clings to the thought that I might just be onto a good thing here in Auckz ;)

2:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I reckon lots of things don't happen unless you start making space or plans for them. London/Olde Worlde sound really good as does rally car driving. Go Jessie, go! Come and see us in CA if you need some sunshine.

NZ will still be there when you are done. The bands might all be different...but like you said, who ARE half these bands on nzmusic, anyway?

Ditto your thoughts on Special Surprise. Will get to see the Phoenix Foundation on two nights a couple of weeks after their Kings Arms gig. Fingers crossed the baby will be happy staying with his crazy Chinese grandma. It'll be our first night away....

7:58 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

I'm going to stay put for the time being, Tricia - a lot of people are telling me "be patient" so I think I'll give that one a try! Thanks for the offer though; one day I will take you up on that.

12:58 am  

Post a Comment