April 18, 2005

Vor Frelsers Kirke


Also known as "fairy-tale church".

I'd only been in Copenhagen a couple of days when I first laid eyes on the spire of Vor Frelsers Kirke - the Church of Our Saviour. I'd ventured out from my base at Spaniensgade and wandered along Amager Boulevard, gazing in wonderment at the mid-winter frozen moat surrounding the suburb of Christianshavn, when I saw it. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Such a fantastic structure surely belonged in a fairy tale, or at the least a Disney-esque funpark. But no! The church was built in 1696 (spire finished in 1752) and is situated on Prinsessegade, the street leading from Torvegade to Christiania, and also to Jens’ house on Burmeistersgade. I spent a lot of time in that area.

The tower is 90 metres high, with 400 steps, 150 of which are on the outside of the tower. Here's the view looking west from the tower. For me, more than the fountains and the gardens and the bicycles, this spire sums up the magic of Copenhagen.

I’ve had a sick day today. It's lucky that Carlos emailed me this link about Jules Verne and Vor Frelsers Kirke, otherwise I was going to post about the inordinate amount of Angel I’ve watched in the last 24 hours: twelve episodes!! From ep 22, season 3 through ep 11, season 4. The funniest episode evs is 'Spin the Bottle'. Oh how we laughed. Except not at Cordelia. Shocking behaviour.

I hit 10,000 visits today. Not that anyone's counting.

10 Comments:

Blogger b said...

wow, that is amazing. looks like the top of a fancy cake or something.
now yet another added to my long list of reasons to visit copenhagen. been wanting to go there for years now.
hope you feel better soon!

12:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey remember when we visited you there and climbed up there... oh dear poor renee... ;)
and ps we have recently bought and watched (super-fast, possibly obsessively) season 5 of angel. and we declare it to be the finest season of them all (and i thought they'd never top season 2 personally)!!! x

1:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like an stairs way to heaven ... wonderful.

spaniensgade hu? what gade means?

anyway nelson is also right, sagrada familia is one of the best churchs... and Gaudi a crack.

btw, 10.000 visits hu? congratulations jess, nice work!. I like your backyard header so much .. nice shot.

jesstherese ... there she goes!

12:24 am  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

Angel, eh?

I enjoyed watching that, but the telly channels kept screwing with the schedule... so i stopped.

My current fave programme is Bodger and Badger. Which is the funniest thing ever.

x.S

5:08 am  
Blogger David said...

Series 4 of Angel was my least favourite. The whole Connor thing was enormously annoying, with him coming back from his hell dimension grown up. And sulky. I think Cordelia was wasted hiding away in her room all the time and getting all wierd, altho I understand the actress was pregnant in real life. And the arc didn't hang together well, with the rock bloke, Connor and Cordelia, and then the odd Jasmine twist for the last few episodes. The only saving grace was Faith, who could show up at my place and treat me in an evil fashion. Any time.

Series 5 was great. And I liked the Darla and Dru stuff from series 2 and early series 3. But 4 just didn't do it for me.

Sorry... I'm a geek.

1:21 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks B.

Aud, yes I remember!

Nelson, yes I did take full advantage of the Christianshavn area ;)

Angel, 'gade' means 'street'. The word employs the famous Danish glottal stop, which I'm finding impossible to write phonetically..

Saturnyne, I'm not familiar with B & B.

David, yeah I've had enough of rock/Beast man. Season 5 has just started here, so I'm trying to get through the rest of season 4 so I can catch up. BUT it's on at 11:15 on a schoolnight which is kinda late for me :(

10:35 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Just found this image - an alternative view from the top.

Also found this pic of a fountain - good example of the kind of thing that captivated me on a daily basis. Ah, Copenhagen. What other wonders has Lady Europe for me?

11:32 pm  
Blogger David said...

Europe?

Venice. Brilliant. Every corner is a treat for the eye. Stay away from the main tourist areas tho, as it gets really busy. Hang around in the alleys and just soak up the colours and the architecture.

Prague. Not so cool these days, but interesting and pretty and I like Czechs. It is a country that is going places.

Scotland. I spent a few months going around the highlands and islands a few years ago, mostly walking up and down hills and chasing puffins. Scots are friendly folk. And it is a great looking place. Edinburgh is a very cool city that I'm going to have to return to some day. Could do with a couple of years working there.

Rome. Did live there. And never ran out of places to explore. Had lots of fun with the zany ex-pat community, mainly based around the Roma Hash House Harriers. Food. Weather. And driving at high speed.

Er... that's all. I've lived overseas most of my adult life. But I'm a crap tourist.

2:01 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks for that David! Roll on 2006 and a marvellously inflated bank account.

11:48 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thank you for the inspiration!

4:35 am  

Post a Comment