April 06, 2005

Another book meme

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451. Which book do you want to be?
I don't get the significance of Fahrenheit 451.
Anyway, this is a great question, because there have been many times in my life where I've wished I could retreat to live within the pages of a book, a bit like Thursday Next in The Eyre Affair... but I've not actually chosen one before! I think the Chronicles of Narnia would be good times. Can I sneakily choose seven books instead of one?!

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, most obviously. Pierre in War and Peace, most recently. Prince Andrew sounded kinda hot too, and Anatole sounded like exactly the kind of boy I would resentfully fall for!

The last book you bought is:
I think it was a hardcover copy of French Relations by Fiona Walker. I first read it when I was 16 or 17 - it's undeniably of the genre most depressingly referred to as 'chick lit' but it's GREAT! I haven't re-read it yet.

The last book you finished is?
Umm... .... good question... ... I've just got to get through the epilogues to War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, and I'm almost done with the Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.. have lost momentum somewhat.

What are you currently reading?
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and War and Peace

Five books you would take to a deserted island?
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, because Tolstoy kicks ass and it’d take me a good few months to get through
French Relations by Fiona Walker because it’s good entertainment value
Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder because I might actually get it finished at last
Life After God by Douglas Coupland because even after three or four reads it still holds something for me
Art: A World History because I never studied it at school and I’m interested.

If anyone wants to replicate, go forth! Thanks to James and Emily.

6 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

Being stuck inside Fahrenheit 451 wouldn't be a very nice place, would it, since book burning features so strongly. Isn't 451 the temperature at which a book catches fire or something?

11:03 am  
Blogger limegreen said...

451 is the point at which paper starts to flame. Apparently. I had to google the 451 reference. D'oh.

Sophie's World is well worth finishing. It came close to being a desert island book for me (along with the Penguin History of NZ), but I'm such a sucker for the funny.

12:07 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

I wonder what that is in Celsius.

11:33 pm  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

Farenheit 451 is a movie, set in a future wherein which "firemen" are unusual, in that they burn books instead of putting fires out... it's a strange question to ask, innit?

Why would anyone wanna be a book in THAT kind of film? Suicidal books anyone?

I'll have to blog along with this at some future point... tis interesting...

S.x

3:34 am  
Blogger Barry said...

Ah, don't want to be disputatious or anything, but the Fahrenheit 451 involved in this particular meme is the book, it is quite a famous one, by Ray Bradbury. Mind you - the way that books were rescued was that people would read them and make it their job to remember the book. So - if the meme had been "which book would YOU save" would show a better appreciation of Bradbury's novel.

As for 451 in celcius, its, um minus 32 and divide the result by 1.8 isn't it? So, around 233 degress celcius.

12:05 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

I have vague memories of a late night black and white movie featuring piles of books being burned. Perhaps that's it? No doubt based on the book.

*goes away to dusty research library*

Perhaps it wasn't b&w.. there was a 1966 (colour) version and a 2005 version isn't quite out yet.

11:12 am  

Post a Comment