September 17, 2008

New sounds

I usually buy music online nowadays, often from 7digital, although I've been eyeing up the wares on sale at 14tracks lately.

Buying stuff online means there are minimal cd cases lying around my room, so I forget that I've bought it at all. So here's a rundown of recent acquisitions, some brand-spanking, others not so:

Calexico - Carried To Dust - huzzah! I'm seeing them at the Forum next month. Will it live up to the pinnacle of brilliance that was their show at the Studio in Auckland in February last year? Since that show culminated in Joey Burns introducing himself to me leaving me gurning for four days, I doubt it.
Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires - growing on me. I definitely dig 'On Board'.
Glasvegas - Glasvegas - bought it last night. Love it already - looking forward to seeing them at Scala next week. I love 'It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry' and 'Go Square Go'.
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid - absolutely abusing this one, bandwagon style, in the aftermath of last week's Mercury Prize success. They have three sold out nights at the Roundhouse next month... maybe they'll add another? I REALLY want to see them while they're riding this particular wave. Current favourite is 'Grounds For Divorce', with close runners up 'Starlings' and 'the Loneliness of A Tower Crane Driver'.
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive - good and catchy. Another band I'm seeing next month.
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes - during 'Tiger Mountain Peasant Song' there's this bit where they sing "Je-e-esssieee" and it was downhill from there!

I certainly can't complain about the current gig schedule. I saw the Breeders play a fantastic set at Shepherd's Bush Empire last week, and totally enjoyed the Mountain Goats at ULU on Monday (they played 'Lion's Teeth'! And 'No Children'!!) I've gathered a posse to join me in bearing witness to Supergroove next weekend - can't wait to experience 'You Freak Me' live after all these years! There's more booked, but I don't want to bang on.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul Capewell said...

although I've been eyeing up the wares on sale at 14 tracks lately.

Oh.

Oh wow.

This I like.

I've also been contemplating getting the Elbow record. I might just have to grit my teeth and go for it based on everything I've read.

10:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, you’re really going to see Supergroove? I can only just stand through gigs I do really like so I’m not sure I could last through one for nostalgia.

How’re you liking that Calexico album?

And thanks for the 14tracks plug yo!

9:20 am  
Blogger Alison said...

I'm listening to the Elbow album as I type! It's killing me that I missed them when they played in Amsterdam right after I moved here. Even worse, they're playing here in Utrecht in November, but the show sold out before I got tickets. Misery!

9:31 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Paul - get the Elbow record.

Matt - yes to Supergroove. May have a spare if you change your mind! Calexico album is good, quite mellow, particularly compared to Garden Ruin.

Alison - I am quite distraught about missing them here in London. Hate to miss a good party.

3:12 pm  
Blogger Hannah said...

You should give the Department of Eagles a listen, if you haven't already. I think you'd enjoy them.

12:01 am  

Post a Comment