May 11, 2005

FLASH HARRY and Odessa

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Flash Harry is without a doubt among my absolute all-time favourite Wellington acts. He's only done a handful of shows in Wellington, let's see... Cuba St Carnival last year - great fun!, a show at the Massey Bar - somewhat drunken on my part, and at the tsunami appeal gig at the Town Hall, headlined by Trinity Roots. There have been others, but I wasn't there, so they don't count.

The good news is that Flash Harry and band the Future of Love are live and local this Friday at Bodega! HURRAH! Now there's something to come home to. The Future of Love includes members of my other favourite band, the Phoenix Foundation... need I say more? Yes, actually. The Phoenix Foundation's album number two, Pegasus, comes out on Monday! I cannot contain my glee!!

Flash Harry's eponymously titled debut album came out in early 2003, and it remains on my high rotate to this day. Yet another string to the bow of Barnaby Weir, also up for the top musician award at this year's bNets. The sound combines reggae, pop and electronica, and is perfectly finished by Weir's sexy vocals. I'd better stop it with the gushing or I'll start quoting lyrics..

As for OdESSA, I've seen them quite a few times too, and they always put on a great show. The sound is very funky, and lead man Matt sure knows how to move! Might be just about time to replace the suit, though.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am bursting with fruit flavour about the release of Pegasus.

6:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it arrived on my desk today... love it! the last album made me depressed.

11:06 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

All right, now I may have heard the entire album months ago, but I am still VERY JEALOUS!!

11:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are killing me. By the time my copy of Pegasus gets paid for and posted, I'll be a week behind.

The band are so awesome, they can make me cry. Dumb, eh?

It's neat to be excited about a new band or two (I'm thinking of SJD)....I'm gettin' tired of waiting for Don McGlashan's solo release.

11:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. have fun at Flash Harry and Future of Love (I love the permutations Welli musicians assume).

11:26 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

That's not dumb at all, Tomatohead - sometimes I can't listen to Horsepower, it's so heartbreakingly lovely. Songs like The Swarm and Sally.. aww!

11:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kind of branching off the same topic... was thinking about how much music i hear and how much i learn... isn't it so cool how much SOUND can teach you??

12:54 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Not at home Heck. I'm hoping to get me some b/b lovin' one day. Thanks though - I saw that post via dub dot dash the other day. Mad lists!

9:58 am  

Post a Comment