May 08, 2005

2005 bNet Awards

Time to vote!! The Backyard endorses the following and suggests that you do too… remember to verify your vote afterwards (click on a link that’s emailed to you) or it won’t count. Voting closes on 13 May. I can’t be assed going through every category. I believe in free will – in moderation of course. This is a random selection of categories; the rest are yours.

Best live act – easy - Kora!! TrinityRoots were generally sublime live, but they’re disbanded now, so we might as well accept it and move on.

Most promising new act - Disasteradio

Best pop releaseSJD, of course. Actually that’s a tough one, seeing as I like (and own) all the nominated albums. Betchadupa are pretty cool, too.

Best rock release – choose between the Mint Chicks and the Fanatics. That reminds me, I must track down a copy of that Batrider album.

Best dvdA Low Hum (but well done Tara! with Fly My Pretties)

Best unreleased song - definitely Hitchcock by the Phoenix Foundation

Best song – I’m a big SJD fan, but if you like, you can tick the box for Lost in Translation by Pitch Black

Best producer – huh? Just kidding… definitely Lee Prebble, the man behind the Phoenix Foundation’s Horsepower (and the forthcoming Pegasus), TrinityRoots’ True and Home, Land and Sea to name just a few.

Best male fox – things get a little bit tricky here. I feel my loyalties are divided, so I’m going with Paul Roper of the Mint Chicks. Never knew he was so hot underneath that mullet!

And without question, the best female fox is Sjionel from the Coolies.

18 Comments:

Blogger harvestbird said...

Thank you for your choices. Now, if you can just help me to decide whether it's boots or shoes to work tomorrow, all will be well....

11:53 am  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Hey Jessie,

Sorry, completely off topic but I'd thought you'd appreciate this -
Just got home after seeing The Arcade Fire in Bristol - OH MY GOD!!! They were the best live band I have ever seen!! - Well...almost - 2nd to The Pixies - But they were just incredible, the noise they make, sooo divine. If you ever get the chance - Jump at it.

Again sorry, off topic.

12:01 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

No worries Herge, I always appreciate gushing over good gigs! I've been waiting for your report. I trust you will write further about it?

12:07 am  
Blogger Barry said...

So, why is Sjionel the #1 fox? I've only seen the Coolies once, and can't actually recall what she looks like, because I got so damn caught up in the beat. Is there photo-age for me to look at? My current thinking is pushing me towards Sarah.

These Arcade Fire peeps - I've just seen the Critic do the most enthusiastic review I've ever seen them do. I think that I may need to check them out myself.

5:21 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Sjionel is #1 cos she's hot! I did an image search but there doesn't seem to be anything that does her justice. You need to be on friendster for proper stalkage, clearly.

6:39 am  
Blogger Barry said...

I am on friendster, sort of - i joined up when people were talking about it, but have never been back. Why, would I find stuff about her there?

7:43 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

You know, as far as anyone would ever use friendster for the purposes of research, shall we say, there's doubtless information to be found :)

I'm a total fangirl for the Coolies.

11:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was playing with Friendster before and I stumbled upon a guy I work with. It creeped me out a little bit for some reason. I wasn't even trying to find people I knew..

1:11 pm  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Sorry about the gushing review last night. I'm more composed now - OH MY GOD THOUGH - THEY WERE AMAZING. Oops, not quite out of the system.

Are all these acts from NZ then?

10:21 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yes, the bNet is sort of an alternative radio network with six stations from around the country. They used to be all student radios, but not so nowadays. I suppose I should have linked the bands.. but if you go to the voting page, there are music or video samples available. Don't worry about not having heard of any of them! Vote anyway! (Following my suggestions, of course ;)

10:44 pm  
Blogger Barry said...

Nah - forget her, I have made suggestions too.

11:51 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

So you have! Cool :)

12:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah off-but-on topic: arcade fire last night in london - holy shit it was amazing. they play play live even better than the record sounds (and thats a clever thing indeed). touts were getting £60 for tix outside that were originally £10 (bastards) and we even ended up loving our least fave on the lp - the last one "the bjork-y one". tallsingingman stagedived three times with excitement and the security got quite cross. hurrah!

1:22 pm  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Audrey, what did you think of Final Fantasy? He was incredible as well - such a great gig.

Jessie, have you heard of a NZ band called The Checks? Zane Lowe (one of your country folk) just played them on his BBC Radio 1 show. They were damn good.

7:35 pm  
Blogger Barry said...

The thing they may not have said about the Checks is that they're all teenagers, they formed while in the sixth form in 2003, but they hardly sound it. Their first EP is on its way.

2:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Barry, I would have to side with Jessie on most of her Bnet votes. I voted for Sam Scott for boyfox, though. Hairy guys don't usually do it for me, be he seems like a nice enough guy.

3:40 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Quite right, he is a nice enough guy.

Divided loyalties! Pft. Whatevs. I might have to utilise a few more email addresses ;)

3:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Herge re final fantasy yes what a little sweetie. i love hidden cameras AND tape loops, so not much to hate there... pity about the jerk behind us who couldn't figure out where the music was coming from and loudly opined about the use of backing tapes, etc (grr to the uninformed!!). ps i was there with a chicago-ian (?) friend and you too are from chicago i think. thats nice.

2:20 pm  

Post a Comment