May 05, 2005

Blue Orchid

After an initial healthy scepticism, the new single from the White Stripes has crept into my world and has me all excited about the forthcoming album, Get Behind Me Satan. I'm quite looking forward to the mania that will inevitably descend upon its release, same as with Elephant. 'Blue Orchid' has great riffs, some kind of falsetto thing going on with the vocal, and I-don't-care-what-you-say-about-it I like Meg's drumming.

Certain amongst my readers have already heard the album, and I anxiously await their opinion. Aud?
[UPDATE: Blue Orchid video.]

Now that I've consumed Funeral by the Arcade Fire (which is Way Cool, btw - thanks!!), I'm on the lookout for a new music high. Thanks Taryn for the tip-off re The National, I've scored a few tracks but I've yet to give them my full attention. Stand by... there's some good stuff live'n'local this weekend, too. I'm keen to check out Ed Gains at Katipo Cafe tonight, and also Cornerstone Roots at Indigo. Tomorrow there's a Powertool Records World Series Kaleidoscope gig at Valve featuring CORTINA. Awesome. There's also the last couple of shows from the Salford Lads Club, Wellington's answer to the Smiths. Sweet...

Last night the wonderful Marilyn made my week by not only cooking a fantastic dinner, but also making a delicious cheesecake with the whole birthday bit - incredible how the experience of a candle-adorned cake in a darkened room can really make you happy. We watched World Drifts In, a live DVD of Calexico playing at the Barbican in London with a full Mariachi band - oh! So good! My only complaint is that the camera action moves so fast I didn't have sufficient time to fully appreciate each performer. Joey Burns, you are amazing.

8 Comments:

Blogger Herge Smith said...

Hello there,

Okay, you've done Arcade Fire (seeing this sunday btw - should be fab)

Have you tried the best album of last year? - The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightening Strike - absolutely wonderful and unique. A mash up of charlie brown, hip hop, kickstart... all sorts, it's the kind of album that just makes you smile. Check em out.

Also, another slightly older album from last year - The Radio Dept - Lesser Matters - If you like My Bloody Valentine you'll love these guys.

Soz, if you already tried these guys.

Have fun.

2:09 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks Herge! I'll check out the Go and the Radio Dept asap! Now that I've geekily found links for future reference, that is ;)

2:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I was asked today by my friend who generally pushes me in the direction of music that I end up lovin' about the Arcade Fire... you recommend? Yay? Nay?

10:39 am  
Blogger Miramar Mike said...

Whilst the next single may be "good" it may never be as "good" as you want. Old-man Mr Cynic (me) recalls Adam & The Ants new release on Radio 1 ("Nowhere else!") of "Prince Charming" ... it was ... OK.

1:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't remember what the stripes' LP sounds like cos there was free booze (yeah i know - loser). the cabinet war rooms were spooky and W churchill was like, totally there man. i had a photo with steve jones (the uk's premier hottie-tv- presenter-who-shagged pamela-anderson-up-the-*#*) and we left before it had finished. the album, that is. and yes try go! team they are fun. we're off to see them next week, and arcade fire next week too. it will be a good week i'm thinkin. 2 ATPs ago on the last night our boombox malfunctioned and the only CD it would read was Go!Team. ALL NIGHT. Its only now we can still listen to it again really, but its still ace... x

2:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think most people just see her massive knockers and figure she must be good. She's hopelessly over-rated and quite honestly frightfully avarage. It infuriates me to hear her discrbed as a 'great' drummer because it is blatantly untrue. Org & I saw ESG last weekend. Now that is what I call a great drummer! Bands have to programme drum machines to have beats that come close to Valerie's and shes like 200 years old and can do it with her eyes closed. Fucking stunning!

As for new bands check out (with new lp's) Pinback, Iron & Wine, Broken Family Band, Antony & The Johnsons (so very touching), 50 Foot Wave, RTX, Wilco, Mates Of State, The Rogers Sisters.... I'll leave it at that for now. Let me know if anything tickles you....
Take care, Jess.

Ren x

2:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PINBACK! i love pinback. penelope is such a fabulous song.

9:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baby was on tour (with Grandma in tow) with them when I saw them in London a month or so ago. They were really really great. They talked about the baby and generally seemed tremendously happy! Kori even got a bit pissed. A great show!

11:40 am  

Post a Comment