May 25, 2005

Mo' streets, mo' music and mo' Blue Orchid

Today I made a symbolic purchase.

As the date of my departure draws nearer, I often ponder my decision to leave Wellington and start anew in the 09. The question usually occurs to me on the way home from work - the way home being a 20-minute stroll (or trudge: mood-dependent) along Taranaki St. For the past two and half years, the circumference of my life has been small, with boundaries at Mt Victoria, the waterfront, the end of Manners Mall and the foot of Mt Cook. But that's changing. Today I bought an Auckland street directory. My horizons are set to widen.

I made a second very important purchase during today's lunchbreak: I bought the Phoenix Foundation's Pegasus. More on that later.

And speaking of lunchbreak, today I had lunch at Daawat with the Wellingtonist crew. I already knew Joanna and James, and today I had the pleasure of meeting Mike, Alan and Llew. Nice.

In other today news, this evening on C4 Premieres I saw the video for the White Stripes' 'Blue Orchid'. Since I wrote about the single three weeks ago, the words 'blue' and 'orchid' have outstripped all other search terms recorded by my trusty stat counters, apart from top term 'the' (?! I thought Google didn't even register 'the'). They even beat 'backyard'! That's nigh on 52 weeks' worth of search terms, overtaken in 21 days. Wow.

Anyway, the video is so fucking cool!! Lots of excellent obscure yet no doubt highly symbolic images, like the stick that turns into a snake, the woman with the ridiculously high heels, the white apple with blue juice, the chandelier made of antlers etc etc. Jack (the Devil, apparently) and Meg are dressed in weird outfits - I'm really not into that mo, Jack - and at one point there's a really cute baby flapping its arms around cutely like babies should do all the time (and nothing else, thanks). And at the end - the horse is about to crush the lady dressed in white! *gasp*

A few minutes later Radio Active played the track. Roll on 6 June!

Also: there's a movie?!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Aaaand Pegasus is number ten on the proper grown-up charts this week! Not to mention 'Damn The River' is number 3 on the alt chart. Nice.

10:52 pm  
Blogger Jesster said...

Sounds great! I'll check it out!

11:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, new backyards to explore (not to mention new music venues). Good onya. Hope the street directory is of some help.

Will it be weird to see the Phoenix Foundation in a different city?

The frites at the belgian beer bar in the CBD off Vulcan Lane are fantabulous.

12:07 am  
Blogger llew said...

Frites? Is that what they're calling them in Auckland these days?

12:22 am  
Blogger harvestbird said...

Tomatohead got there first--yes indeedy, a new backyard will be The backyard!

2:00 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Ooh, I'm very excited about the backyard at the place I'm crashing at until I find a place... it's HUGE! Jpgs will follow!!

Jesster, your name is the same as my eXtreme login.. weeeird.

Tomatohead: could be, but I think it'll just make me happy :) Actually I've just agreed to do the door for the Friday gig - how's that then, my first gig in Auckland and I'm working at it!

2:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

frites: doesn't seem right calling fries/chips with a big gob of garlicky mayo anything but...

Darn it Jessie, you haven't even moved and you are getting involved w/ the best shows in town. Say "hola" to Sean Donnelly/Don McGlashan if you see them ;)

4:51 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

And if I say it's from Tomatohead, will they know what I'm talking about? ;)

1:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean Donnelly might know if you say, "the geek in California who emails you 'good lucks!' from time to time." Don McGlashan might know if you say, "'schoberlew,' the geek in California who acts like the welcome wagon on the mb list."

Good luck with the move/new job.

6:43 am  

Post a Comment