July 05, 2006

RIP dog

When I was eleven we got a dog. She wasn't a puppy; she was about a year old and she came complete with bad attitude. I was completely afraid of dogs and the arrival of this bad-tempered animal that barked every time anyone came through a door severely freaked me out.

As time went by she grew accustomed to us, and particularly close to my mother. And I got over my fear of dogs. That was her great gift to me. That and the fact that she shared my name.

It's true: our dog was called Jessie. We changed her name to Tessy, to avoid confusion. As I've mentioned elsewhere, confusion remained. She was a golden labrador/english sheepdog cross, with wiry, shaggy hair that moulted everywhere (when I find a photo I'll post it). At the old house on Wicksteed St, her place was under the side table in the dining room. That's where I'll remember her.

Today Tessy died, by my calculation at age 16. Bye bye dog.

7 Comments:

Blogger llew said...

Aw... sad. Good innings though.

9:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder if she's gone to doggie heaven...she wasn't appreciated that much except by Mum I reckon. Remember that year when she raided the gifts under the Xmas tree while we were all out & scoffed about a kg of red liquorice then got sick?

2:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor puppy :(

12:19 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

No I don't remember that Meg! I appreciated her when I lived at home, but not much in the last few years.

2:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went for a hike with my middle aged crabby girl dog (and family) and thought of Tessy. Dogs and cats do teach us things about life. Sounded like the closing of one chapter. 16 is a good go.

8:31 pm  
Blogger ANNA said...

I'm sure she's hanging out with Mum now, where she loved to be :)

11:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Just Lost My Doggie... A fucking Car Hit Her And the car left her behind to die from eternal bleeding

2:39 am  

Post a Comment