February 08, 2007

New Music Sanity

I've been fully into retail therapy this week. Tuesday saw me at a frayed end, until I took myself to Real Groovy. I took home the new Shins album (which WON'T PLAY IN MY COMPUTER! WHICH MEANS I CAN'T HEAR IT!! except at work), the Onus of Sand by Little Bushman (whose website DOESN'T EXIST!), and Jakob - Subsets of Sets (I lied when I said I had the entire back catalogue. But I do now).

I was actually after Calexico's Garden Ruin in anticipation of their show here in a few weeks' time. So today, during a tiny window of work down time, I searched for it at a few online stores. Then I realised that my smug period of spend,spend,spend was over now that I have spent any surpluses I had unwittingly built up. I'll buy it another time.. first I'll probably get The Good the Bad & the Queen. Maybe. Should I?

I was reading postsecret today, only I almost cried so I had to stop. I've been at work way too long. Funny how short weeks can be so tough.

Tomorrow I go on a wee adventure down to Christchurch and Queenstown. Fingers crossed for good weather and good photo opportunities.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Paul Capewell said...

Owning all of Jakob's stuff makes me grin like a hyperactive child. Listening to it is a dangerous affair!

I hope the Shins record works in my Mac... It should be coming in the mail today.

I don't know if I wanna get the Good/Bad/Queen record. I'm apprehensive. Ditto with Bloc Party but I got that one anyway.

I also ordered the second Urban Tramper record finally the other day. Its been a while and you can only listen to dodgy MP3s for so long.

I hope you have a good trip to Queenstown/ChCh! Some of my favourite places. I'm off out photoing today because it has finally SNOWED!

Jesus. Long comment...! Snow is exciting.

10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh i'm jealous you get to see calexico as i missed out on the wellington show - its sold out. of course, i get to brag about how i've already seen them three times.... hope you have a great time. i'm off to bill callahan and joanna newsome on sunday hooray.

when you getting to wellington next?!

xom

7:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the new Shins today and it works ok in my PC. What goes on buddy? Dya know when the Arcade Fire's newbie comes out? I'm gagging for it.

10:51 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yeah, it works in my work PC. Could be something to do with me dropping my laptop on the open disc tray the other day but it plays other cds fine..

8:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good/bad/queen is actually pretty good, just not quite what you would expect from something involving Paul Simonon and Tony Allen (which to me indicated "Afro-beat punk dub lunacy"). The songs are growers rather than instantly gratifying, and the album on the whole is a lot more subdued than the usual output of some of those involved, mostly built around minor-key acoustic stuff with a bit of a dub flavour thrown in. Final track on the album in particular is a ripper.

3:55 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks for that! I'm sure I'll come by a copy sooner or later.

9:33 pm  

Post a Comment