December 26, 2009

Music of 2009

It's a windy, rainy Wellington day out, so I've happily spent quite a few hours reflecting on the music of 2009. I've analysed my music listening of 2009, based on itunes playcounts and last.fm charts, and - once I became baffled at reconciling the differences and attempting adjustments over time - good old-fashioned choosing of favourites. A little more scientific, and certainly more long-windedly selected than last year's, here's my top tens of 2009:

Top ten albums, released in 2009:
1. The Xx - xx
2. Girls - Album
3. The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
4. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
5. Beirut - March of the Zapotec and Realpeople Holland
6. Röyksopp - Junior
7. Balmorhea - All Is Wild, All Is Silent
8. The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
9. British Sea Power - Man of Aran
10. Anna Coddington - The Lake

Top ten tracks, released in 2009:
1. Röyksopp - This Must Be It
2. Antony & The Johnsons - Her Eyes Are Underneath The Ground
3. Florence + the Machine - Girl With One Eye
4. Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
5. The Decemberists - The Wanting Comes In Waves/Repaid
6. Bon Iver - Woods
7. The Rumble Strips - London
8. Balmorhea - Remembrance
9. Quantic - Transatlantic
10. Bombay Bicycle Club - Ghost

Music that's definitely not new in 2009 but which I've enjoyed includes Pink Floyd's The Wall, just about everything by Art Brut (which I can't really listen to anymore, but still love to see live), Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, and Faith No More's The Real Thing. FNM's reunion tour has seen the band leap to second place in my last.fm all-time top artists, no mean feat given that pre-2009, I did the bulk of my FNM listening before records began (which was April 2005, more or less).

And now with the assistance of one of my favourite new websites, songkick, here are my top live shows of 2009:

1. Faith No More, Olympia Theatre, Dublin, 27 August
2. Primavera Sound Festival, Barcelona, 28-30 May
3. Blur at Glastonbury, Worthy Farm, 28 June
4. The Flaming Lips, Troxy Theatre, London, 10 November
5. The Decemberists, The Coronet, London, 19 November

What have I missed? What are your must-hears and you-should-have-been-theres of 2009?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment