December 03, 2009

Observations that struck me but now seem unstriking

The first day or so of being in New Zealand, some things really leaped out at me. Even now I'm starting to assimilate so they almost seem normal again - before that happens I'm collecting them here.
  • There is a lady at the airport doing poi stuff. I probably should know the right way to say 'doing poi'. Makes it sound like an illegal substance.
  • The airport shuttle man doesn't want to know the postcode. This is convenient since I don't know it either.
  • The bus driver is not behind a wall. There is a STRING to pull when you want to stop.
  • The 12-hour clock is much more used than the 24-hour version, further confusing my time-zone-pressured self.
  • The streets are wide, and empty.
  • Using NZ currency is so novel! Plastic notes and baby 50c pieces!
  • I see an ex-boyfriend on Great North Rd and have to duck down in my car seat.
  • I practically passed out after running a shorter distance than I'm accustomed to in London, which I put down to the extreme levels of humidity (100%?!) and the hills.
It's been an excellent day. I got to drive a car for the first time in two and half years! It was a blissful and a tiny bit scary. And I visited my old office in Grey Lynn, caught up with the boss (still the boss, after all this time) and the friendly neighbour, as well as the rest of the team, and was very happy indeed to see everyone again.

This track makes me happy too:

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

HA i enjoyed these. yes you will quickly acclimatise so record all zany impressions! when i last went back to wellie my first sighting of the harbour on a gorgeous clear sunny day nearly made my eyes explode with amazement! i really couldn't believe i'd lived there so long and taken it for granted... x ps ace patton

11:15 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yay a comment! Hey Aud! I'm looking forward to getting down to Wellington, hopefully sometime next week xx

11:35 am  
Blogger ANNA said...

We LOVED seeing you Jess and look forward to seeing you again next week :) Kids are excited at the notion of seeing an aunty [again]. And not just any aunty of course ;)

6:17 pm  

Post a Comment