July 11, 2005

Solvency - 0, Consumerism - 1

Weekend roundup... It took me about three hours to leave the house on Friday night, but I was glad I did - I saw One Million Dollars @ the Rising Sun. Funky sounds and I even danced.. a bit.

Saturday was most productive: I met some friends for breakfast and then went to a film festival movie - Turtles Can Fly. Oh, so sad. It's set at a refugee camp on the border of Turkey and Iraq, where hordes of parentless children earn money clearing land mines. It was both amazing and heart-breaking to see the way the children got on with their lives in the face of unbelievable hardship and in the most bleak of settings. There's more to it than that; you can read about it on the film festival website.

Afterwards we wandered down to the viaduct, which was swarming with rugby supporters and people scalping tickets and selling tour merch. Queen St was equally busy, and it was a relief to step off the street into a Korean restaurant. Yum.

Later on Ru, Matias and I set to putting away a few bottles of wine in celebration of Matias' birthday and my new job. (No, not the record label one; I got another job which I start next week. Suffice to say at this point that I am very happy about it, and that it is true, things do happen for a reason! Apart from bombings. No reason for that.) Eventually we wandered to the Odeon Lounge where we saw Bachelorette play prior to a lovely set from SJD. I decided to be geek and remember the set-list for once; take a look here if you're interested.

Celebrating my first pay in several weeks, yesterday I went shopping. Best buy: animal print rug for $24 from an enormous liquidation sale at the Auckland Showgrounds. After several other purchases, I am now back-to-broke. Just wouldn't be the same otherwise!

Last night I went to the Greenpeace tribute gig. Arriving around 7:30, we were impressed to see such a good turnout early on, and with Rhombus owning the stage it was easy to see why. Don McGlashan and John Segovia were joined by Kirsten Morelle and Che Fu for 'Anchor Me', however I was very disappointed that Che Fue's own set didn't go ahead. Steriogram were fun if somewhat neverending, and the D4 were rocking good times.

10 Comments:

Blogger harvestbird said...

Rhombus! It's ages since I've heard from them ("jammin' with the Rhombus sound ...")

And hearty congratulations on your job.

4:21 am  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Wow, sounds like you have a great life going on. Gigs, movies, hanging out with friends. What could be better - and getting paid.

9:30 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks H-bird! I'm in the honeymoon period, where I haven't actually started work yet and therefore have little idea of what the job actually involves :) It's great!

Herge, it does sound all right huh... I'll be happier when I know a few more people, though.

10:20 am  
Blogger Cece Martinez said...

Shopping 'til you're broke is the only way to do it!
Thats a damn good deal on a rug, though. Makes you feel a bit better, doesn't it?
:o)

4:26 pm  
Blogger Pix said...

Yes, it worked! My computa has been freezing whenever I try and leave stuff here. I think it's fuct and Jimmy's meant to be fixing it but he's always bloody hungova.

I always felt SO lonely in Auckland. I guess I didn't give it that much of a go and didn't know many people, and moved there for the WRONG reasons, but it was just the vibe - you could be on a packed bus or a crowded street and there were never any familiar faces and nobody made eye contact or smiled or did quirky stuff like in Wellie. Anyway....what's the job? You lawyering it?

8:04 pm  
Blogger Pix said...

Oh and how do I get my little pixie to show up on your blog?

8:05 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hi Cece! Yeah, the rug is good :)

Pix, my compulsion to move here seems be working out in my favour. I did have a couple of good friends, although I'm wary of relying on them too much. As for your picture, you need to upload it to your blogger profile.

10:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be a happy camper when I get to see 1/10 the shows you get to see. I love Rhombus a lot, too.

Having trouble seeing your SJD set list...need a password. Cheers for thinking of me when you saw him and Don McGlashan play. I heard that Don McG played "This is London" - the song that starts with the references to commuting on a London train, and I just realised its significance in light of last week.

Many congratulations on your other new job!

6:58 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks T! Also, I fixed that link so you'll be able to click through it now without logging in.

9:50 pm  
Blogger Miss Marisol said...

Oooo...I'd like to see this rug!

11:59 pm  

Post a Comment