July 01, 2005

Gainful Employment

Hurrah! I've picked up some temporary work at a record label, home to my favourite NZ band... can you guess which one?

There's been some to-ing and fro-ing regarding permanent employment and I'm pretty excited about my options. Whether they pan out remains to be seen, but the fact that these people are willing to even give me the time of day, let alone meet with me to discuss my future as it coincides with theirs is trés exciting.

On Tuesday I visited the Auckland Museum, where my flatmate works. He gave me a whirlwind tour, complete with insightful in-the-know facts, which was cool. I reached cultural saturation point long before I'd seen all the galleries, so I hope to return before long. I particularly liked the temporary exhibit on Ernst Plischke, the Austrian architect who designed quite a few buildings in Wellington and elsewhere in New Zealand, and the kauri tree which cycles through a day's worth of birdsong in five minutes.

Have I mentioned that my favourite New Zealand bird is the kereru, the native wood pigeon? Their wings make a distinctive beating sound when they fly, and it reminds me of my walk up St John's Hill to school each day in Wanganui.

13 Comments:

Blogger noizy said...

FMR?

nice one.

2:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Jess good luck with the employment front, you seem to have found your feet rather smmothly so far! Plenty of work in Syd if you should find yourself back here...

3:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Yeah, Fest Mushroom is my guess, too. So, when's the new Rhombus really coming out?

Does this mean you have to wear a suit?

3:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think True Bliss were signed to Sony. Does that mean you're working in Newmarket for Sony-BMG?

4:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one.

7:56 am  
Blogger Miss Marisol said...

congratulations, jessie!
i'm so glad you found something you will enjoy, as well.

4:34 pm  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Good one, how'd you swing that?

10:44 am  
Blogger limegreen said...

Heh. You know that the Plischke exhibition was on for several months in Wellington. I think I was up twice in the time that it was on. Although it's funny how you never bother to go to things that are on in your own town (not that I'm suggesting you're on pseudo-holiday in Auckland...). Did you ever get to the FilmArchive before you left Wellington?

Just ribbin' ya. Don't ask me when I was last in DPAG, the Otago Museum (I missed the Hillary exhibition although it was on for months)....

12:09 pm  
Blogger limegreen said...

I have several Kereru in my garden. I was going to get rid of the tree lucerne and plant natives, but those birds love it waaaay too much....

12:10 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

That's right, True Bliss are my favourite band!! ;|

Joel, I'm not sure what you mean by that..?

Limegreen, it took me four years to get to the Otago Museum, which I walked past about five times per day... and no, I didn't go to the Film Archive, apart from for the Resonate seminar. What do you mean you were going to get rid of the natives?!!

9:58 pm  
Blogger limegreen said...

It took me forever to get to the museum as well (although I get to the art gallery more often). Actually, I think (if we exclude the cafe, and functions in the museum theatre), it took me about 6 years....

No, I wasn't getting rid of natives. I was going to remove the tree lucerne (a not particularly attractive exotic), and re-plant natives there. However, kereru love eating tree lucerne seeds, so I'd probably have a lot less swooping over the house if I pulled them out....

1:14 am  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Felicitations...! Good stuff - fantastic news. And it sounds like very cool job...

2:13 pm  
Blogger Purring said...

Yippeee...and a fun job it sounds like too! Congrats.

9:57 pm  

Post a Comment