June 23, 2005

self portrait with bag and painting

you can call anything a self-portrait I've been unpacking a bit, enjoying the feeling of having a place to call my own. And scouring trademe for furniture.

After lecturing myself on the importance of being careful with spending, this afternoon I found myself buying a ticket for Pedro Almodóvar's latest, La Mala Educación. The Spanish director never fails to amaze with his incredibly complex plot-lines, and there's no exception here. The difference is the darkness of the dominant theme in La Mala Educación: child abuse in a religious school, and the effects on the character's lives. Major plus: Gael Garcia Bernal plays one of the lead roles. Interesting aside: there are approximately two female characters in the entire film.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard Gael Garcia Bernal is very... beautiful in this film - can't wait to see it

2:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh that guy is riiiddddiiiiicccullloouuusssly good looking. Sigh.

7:52 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

I haven't seen it yet, but really really want to, love gael.

It's interesting about there being mostly all men - all about my mother (one of my favourite films) is mostly women and womens relationships, well some of the women are transgender...

by the way I saw Tom and Paul from cassette on friday, they say you are super cool.

4:11 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

How nice of them :) You know, now that I think about it, I should say there are only two female actors in the film - there are certainly several female and/or transgender characters. 'Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown' is another about women.

5:38 am  
Blogger Miss Marisol said...

i met gael a couple of times. he is so hot you just want to lick him when you see him.

2:24 pm  

Post a Comment