June 14, 2005

wide angle lens

I slept late today and spent what was left of the morning scanning old photos. Take a look here to see one of my favourite shots from my time overseas: not some beautiful church, tower, gargoyle or view - no, it's a community of ETs hanging out inside a game machine at Brighton Pier. Stand by for more reminiscy København posts.

I had lunch with Emma at the Red Eye Cafe, Wanganui. If you've ever sat in the rear courtyard, you'll be familiar with Maiangi Waitai's incredible mandala mosaic on the wall of the adjoining building. The building is soon to be demolished, and it's going to be difficult to save the mosaic. Here's hoping they find a way.

towards the city bridge and the Durie Hill towerHaving transferred my belongings from Ange's car to my dad's car upon arriving in Wanganui yesterday, I had only to put on my responsible driver hat and get the oil/water/tire pressure checked before taking off out of town. The view from the servo across the river is quite pretty.

squint very hard to see cows on hillAs I drove, experiencing the eXtreme lack of sound quality on my hastily-made mix tapes, the straight edges of the world began to dissolve revealing hints of the scope of possiblity before me. (Don't worry, I kept to the left.) This feeling of unattachedness is thrilling. I'm slipping through the cracks of my 9-5 lifestyle and the lines are blurring - an existence other than the one I foresaw seems possible. Anything seems possible. I feel like I'm shedding my old skin and I wonder what the new one will be like.

look up: expect the unexpected

The absolute worst thing that happened today was the discovery that the windscreen wipers on Dad's car scream.

This evening I'm live from Hunterville.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Jessie!

So close to shedding this life myself: 6.5 more days of work!

I'm semi-considering a road trip to Akld before tutoring starts - do you reckon you could see yourself to hanging out in some dodgy music venue with me if I make it up there?

p.s. awesome ET photo

11:17 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Fo'sure Esther!! Good on you for making a change too. Change is good.. yeah I love that photo. Perhaps it deserves a post of its own. If I can just figure out some tenuous contextual link.. ET, 'come home', a bicycle.. nup, it didn't leave much of an impression. Brighton however - the gaming machines were so addictive.

11:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done for the lovely pix - Wangas looked quite pretty, and excellent timing for the Ohakea shot. Lockie would have loved to have been there... Maybe you are in Takapuna by now. GOOD LUCK!!!

1:22 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Shhh Anna! No one's supposed to know my shame. Heh. Takapuna. Heh.

But no, I'm firmly ensconced in Hunterville, with no intention of leaving anytime soon. It's very comfortable. Back to the fire, sound system, phone line, guitar, cups of tea.. mmm. Could do with some breakfast though.

1:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shedding your skin is the best feeling, coming from one who knows! good ole Hunterville eh, gotta love it... glad I've never driven Dad's car, not exactly his pride & joy is it?

4:25 am  
Blogger Dodderyoldfart said...

Mind how you go! Watch that ice! Pity you weren't going through our stretch (SH3)

6:53 am  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

you there yet?

S.x

6:40 am  

Post a Comment