June 13, 2005

haere ra, and all that

I'm not very good at goodbyes. I don't expect that I'm particularly unique in this, but I find it difficult to accept the notion of 'goodbye' as a final thing.

Situations where blanket goodbyes are required don't occur very often. This - leaving Wellington - is the second occasion I recall it with any significance. The first is when I left Dunedin after a pretty big five years in my life.

I suppose it also happened when I left Wanganui after finishing high school, but I'm sure the general excitement of getting the hell away outweighed any remorse.

How do you acknowledge the possibility of never meeting again?

I don't know. I don't believe it.

So I say, "I'll see you." Or, "We'll meet again."

We will. And if we don't - no, we will!

Btw, this is live from Wanganui. The heater is on, some crap is on the tv, my guitar is close to hand and there are warm and relaxed cats draped about the room. My brother is "cooking" - heating up soup in the microwave - and I'm soon to venture out of doors. Apparently if there is milk, Guy will make rice pudding.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jess! hi guy! hi arnie and tess! (did i miss anyone? a zoo member perhaps?). sheesh its been a while... xx org x

1:42 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

There you are!

You forgot that other dumb cat... Frankie. Sorry Meg but everyone thinks he's dumb.

2:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess

Hope the pack-up wasn't too painful - enjoy the rest from work (I am VERY jealous)...

Is Arnie the "stick incident" cat? I just remembered it and am cracking up....

Jane

9:12 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hi Jane, no - the cat of the 'stick incident' was an even dumber cat - Aslan of the 'no tail'.

The rice pudding was made, I'm eating it now. Yum.. Arnold wants to fight me for it.

12:21 am  
Blogger Amanda said...

Someone once said to me that you don't say goodbye unless you plan on saying hello sometime in the future

1:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankie is the smartest feline of all, I should know, I'm still his mother even tho I've changed countries... hope the move is going smoothly - Guy cooked rice pudding??!! Nice one bruvva!

4:06 am  
Blogger Miramar Mike said...

Have a blast oop north

12:41 pm  

Post a Comment