June 27, 2005

Job Schmob

David asked me about my job, and how it's going. Well. One or two opportunities have arisen, but after much discussion with flatmates, friends and passers-by, the conclusion that has been arrived at by utilitarian means is that, "Things happen for a reason," and (I like this one), "A job will find me!"

In other words, I haven't got a job yet.

As mentioned earlier, before I left Wellington, I had an idea in my head of what would happen once I got to Auckland. I would find a job, move into a new flat, make new friends. All very seamless.

Funnily enough, now that I'm here, things aren't so smooth. Yes, I have moved into a flat, but that wasn't supposed to happen until I had established the wherewithal to pay the rent! I've been questioning my livelihood and what direction it should take, raising some enormous questions and generally freaking me out big time. Wanted: someone to make decisions. I'm all up in the air! Jobless, spinning a compass between my fingers and flipping a coin with the other hand. There are some questions to be answered. What do I want to be doing??

Conversation on Saturday night:
Jessie: I'll be taking Dad's car back to Wanganui in a few weeks' time.

Rin: Oh, you'll have to buy your own car.

Ru: She hasn't got any furniture yet.

Rin: Oh.
In the meantime, I intended to get some temping work to make ends meet. Unfortunately, the temping agencies I've spoken with require a three-month commitment - I don't know what I'll be doing in three weeks, let alone three months. Back to the drawing board.

And as for making ends meet, BIG THANKS to the kindness of various friends who have made me feel very welcome by providing company and meals. I really appreciate it!

8 Comments:

Blogger David said...

So what happened to the Auckland interview back in May? I'd assumed you were moving for that job.

I must have missed something.

5:41 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

what kind of work do you do? Maybe you can pretend to commit to temping job and then leave when you want to.

10:43 am  
Blogger Miss Marisol said...

If I lived closer to you I would definitely invite you over for a meal. And send you home with a cup of wherewithal.

4:48 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Aw thanks Manda..

David, that job wasn't what I was after. I didn't publicise it :) In fact I learned my lesson re blogging about almost-jobs!

Rosie, I am a lawyer. Ideally I would like to be in music law. We'll see.

Thank you Miss Marisol! Very kind :)

Nelson, you went to Iceland?! You're right - I realised prior to the move that it was going to get a lot harder before it got easier. I'll figure it out sooner or later :) In the meantime, I still get excited when I catch sight of the Sky Tower, so that's a good thing.

12:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went up to the sky tower for the first time in March. Scared the CRAP out of me.

makes auckland look halfway decent from that height though.

3:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

It sounds a bit crap that temp agencies expect you to commit to 3 months work when they can't guarantee you 3 months work... sounds like all the flexibility is on the poor schmuck's side.

Good luck with the job hunt. I am originally from Auckland (now in London) and I hope you come to love it as much as I did. I still yearn for Grey Lynn weekends...

2:06 pm  
Blogger Purring said...

If only we could get paid to write blogs....ahhhh life would be so simple. Good luck with the search!

9:33 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hey Lisa, I've never been up the tower. Not yet, anyway.

Sandra, thanks for stopping by. Grey Lynn weekends are pretty nice! Yesterday I went to a zine fest at the community hall, yay for community :)

Kari, oh so true! I reckon I could do an all right job of that ;) Thanks.

9:55 pm  

Post a Comment