November 29, 2005

Birds at the Civic

Screw anxiety, today I don't even have the presence of mind to feel self-conscious. Where is my mind? I suppose it's in the same place as my hangover, hidden away waiting to pounce. Or not? It's hard to tell.

The Bic Runga show last night was totally awesome. I was busy all day driving delivering betas, working parallel parking magic, and hanging at the airport waiting while Conrad's flight was delayed. By the time I'd taken him and Joey and the drycleaning to soundcheck, I barely had time to whisk by the office and then home to change my clothes before it was dinner time at the Civic.

That was pretty much it for me, as far as work goes. I nearly cried with joy when the friendly neighbour hooked me up a ticket to the opera box, having so coveted the equivalent at the St James on Friday. Tumeke! It was totally awesome and I had imbibed sufficiently to feel like I was part of the show. Heh.

At half time the boss required me to share my roost with a gang of accountants; that was fine and it was nice to share the goodness. The Civic is huuge - sold out, it was full to the brim with 2400 people - and all were focussed on the slight figure in the spotlight. Bic played a set comprising songs from her first two albums, then a second set consisting of the entire Birds album. And an encore. The band were superb, of course, and it was excellent to see the whole gang together again (minus Rikki, who's just had a baby :). If you're keen to see the show yourself, I hear rumours of a national tour in March.

Afterwards (can you guess what I'm going to say next?) things got a little hazy. I had some indignance at the nerve of the doorman at the afterparty - whipping about with his doorlist, hello, I wrote the doorlist and that's why I'm not on it. Actually I didn't, I have no idea who wrote it but I think they ought to be fired for the oversight. Just kidding - I haven't quite reached those levels of wankness - but it was embarrassing and I felt dumb. Not for long though :) And then I proceeded to systematically waste myself. I hate for this to deteriorate into a perpetual "I was so drunk, omg" but.. it's the season, right?

1 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

oh em gee.

12:54 am  

Post a Comment