November 06, 2005

counting beyond

I went to a charity auction the other night.

It was pretty cool, quite flash and I felt a little out of my depth, in my borrowed clothes and all. You know how it goes better if you're in your own clothes?

Anyway, I didn't have any money to spend, but if I had, I've have bid on the handwritten Shayne Carter lyrics for 'She Speeds.' Reading them was a blast of enlightenment, and now I've gone and forgotten them again.

Dinner and drinks, live music, and a man called Trigger doing a great job of parting generous people and their money, for a totally deserving cause. Yeah.

In other going-out news, I caught Ray Nugget's set at the Dog's Bollix on Thursday. He played before Gasoline Cowboy (it was their EP release gig), and picked between a range of at least five guitars. Sounded great - here's hoping he releases something soon.

Going back to the Friday before last, not long after being violated by Hayseed Dixie, I turned the corner in a stranger's flat to find Connan flat on his back playing strangely pop blues guitar while the Mockasins backed him up. And stomped the night away on Saturday to the sweet sweet sound of Kora, followed by Salmonella Dub. I forgot how drmnbssy they are.

To bring us back to today, last night for the first time I saw Ryan McPhun and the Ruby Suns when they played at the Odeon with Ghostplane. They reminded me of the Go! Team, all happy and multi-instrumental and orchestral and clappy.

Also, I'm waging a war on sugar abuse. It's just not good for me.

11 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

oh oh yes. Good night it was. My friend went up and asked for Ryan McPhun fun and the ruby suns to sign his newly purchased album that night.. I was jealous.

7:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey jessie your blog is awesome, Auckland sound such a fun city from your words.
Here I m preparing the molotovs (I m france), I m going to Paris this weekend for burn some cars.
Keep in contanct Matias

3:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jo, you are completely vulgar!

And why go to Paris for burn some cars? You could hang out with my little brother and go to Kumeroa for burn some Van & Motorbikes instead.

7:11 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Jo, I admit there was some temptation, but it wasn't me! Hey Hannah, musta seen you there, what do you think - a bit like the Go! Team?

Matias, hello! Don't go setting yourself on fire, please.

Jimmy, have you seen 'Kaikohe Demolition'? A must for any petrol lover.

8:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure have, its awesome huh!

4:31 am  
Blogger Hannah said...

a bit yeah - or, The Phoenix Foundation in Horsepower - just a bit more peppy?

'Birthday on Mars' sounds incredibly like Yann Tiersen's music on the Amelie soundtrack.

It's all lovely :)

4:46 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yay, more comments is exactly what I need at this hazy beer o'clock time of the day. Without meaning to suggest that there are elements of relaxation and/or fun in my job. (Today I had rising panic! Rest assured, all dealt to now.)

'Birthday on Mars' just makes me think of my beloved Flaming Lips and their so-slow-to-be-released and not-really-got-high-hopes-anyway movie, 'Christmas on Mars'.

4:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of the Flaming Lips... I got Fearless Freaks and I can't watch it yet because all my stuff is still at Slut-Face's house. I can't wait to get my furniture and move into my new flat and forget I ever knew her!

But I digress...

I also have a still from the Do You Realize?? video as my desktop. I love Wayne.

6:33 am  
Blogger Hannah said...

ohohooo - sounds like the Polyphonic Spree.

I think the key link is making me want to go sit on the lawn in the sun.

9:18 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Speaking of which Lisa can you give us a link to one of your mspaint pictures!?! (Sit? You mean cartwheel ;)

9:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can find em all here

7:16 am  

Post a Comment