October 09, 2005

Wishful Thinking

This evening, had I been well enough to leave the house after three days laid up in bed, I would have gone directly to the Herald Theatre. If the infection compromising the functionality of my lungs, throat, sinuses and ears subsided, I would have been sure not to miss seeing Anika Moa and the Plastic Tiki Band, doubtless ably supported by Anna Coddington. Had I not burned the candle so thoroughly at both ends sufficient to threaten its very integrity, nothing would have kept me away.

tumekeAnd if the fact that I've had a secret crush on Anika ever since I first met her had not been enough, then the relentless high rotate of her simply sublime album Stolen Hill on my stereo in recent months would have rendered me insane to miss the opportunity.

If I had gone to the Herald Theatre this evening, I would have been treated to a lovely opening solo set by the aforementioned Miss Anna Coddington, this evening without her band Duchess. I would have been charmed by her relaxed manner and sweet voice, and indulgent when she forgot the words of the Billy Bragg cover.

Health permitting, I would have been entranced by Anika's set, beginning with 'Kotahitanga', then straight into the exquisite 'In The Morning', and stopping by many tracks on Stolen Hill, including latest single 'Wrestled With Your Angels' (can't wait to see the new video), as well as revisiting earlier songs 'Good In My Head' and 'Youthful' among others. I wouldn't have been witness to the hilarious onstage banter between Anika and Anna, nor the lighthearted heckling of one Chris Knox, who was among the intimate audience. Gone would have been my opportunity to buy a way cool Misery-designed Anika t shirt and competitively-priced Duchess EP.

It would have been a real shame to miss it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

oh dear you poor thing, so the natropath stuff didn't work? Anika is very cute, great tatoos.

Hey my flatmate anna kelly knows you from the oldendays in welly. (she is ex of craig terrace to ring some bells, of course she is her own wonderfull person seperate of being craigs ex)

12:50 pm  
Blogger miss_seph said...

I saw Anika Moa (with "Grace Kwan" and one of the chicks formerly from What Now, and also from one of the grass roots type NZ drama type shows) at Tanuki Cave a couple of weeks back - I was actually repressing the urge to ask for her autograph, that's how much I like her music. I've seen Savage in the streets before, and just let him walk on by (this was, ofcourse, before 'Swing' and 'Moonshine' which I quite like), and the only other person I've actually made a point in 'celebrifying' was P-Money who I spotted at a car show, and got a photo taken in front of our car with him :D No one was around at the time to see it though :/

3:07 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Rosie, yes I know Anna, I met her a couple of times about two years back when my sister was on holiday here from London. Hi!

Miss_Seph, you have fine taste in dining :)

8:14 pm  
Blogger Barry said...

Yay - Anika rules. I'm going to be seeing her next week in Oamaru, it is my little treat for working so hard this semester (its not like going to Toronto next Thursday isn't a big enough treat!).

12:43 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hi Meg, yeah I'm much better now thanks! Will take better care in future...

Hey Barry, good to hear from you! Enjoy the show, it's a great night. And have fun in Toronto! Is that for work or pleasure?

8:55 pm  

Post a Comment