August 28, 2005

I am not a petrol head, honest

And who would be, with petrol prices soaring off the scale these days?? That is, unless there's an expense account picking up the tab.

It's been a while yeah. I've just had my first weekend in a month, but only because I couldn't work due to an attack of the Killer Head Cold. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this affliction; I only hope I haven't infected anyone else, particularly not that eight-piece string section I came across last week.

Having just spent two days in bed you could say I am well psyched to return to the outside world. Earlier today I sent the friendly neighbour a reassuring text, letting him know I hoped to be well enough to return to work tomorrow, and was somewhat disgusted with his callous response, "You would have been working no matter what." Funny sense of humour some people have.

Last week after checking out the Back2Basics hip hop magazine launch at the Transmission Room (Adeaze are officially the Cutest Thing Ever!), I stumbled around Auckland Uni trying largely in vain to find the entrance to dirty Shadows bar, from where the strains of Cassette's opening bars could be heard. Yay Cassette!! Also playing were Tegan and Sara, but since I'm stubborn about stuff I haven't heard yet, I don't know who they are (beyond the obligatory 'lesbian twins' tag) and will not provide any illuminatory links. So there. No, I didn't hear them play at Shadows, I was too busy hanging with the band and trying to restrain myself when Mikey Havoc walked past IRL!! Omg!!1! Yes, I am new to the city, can you tell?

Although I run the risk of making it appear that my current employment is at some sort of car yard, I can't resist showing off the latest and flashest vehicle my job has required me to drive – a brand new Peugeot 307cc. In spite of feeling like the biggest fuckwit ever, I persist in putting the roof down while paused at traffic lights, I brazenly ignore the munters gesturing in my rear view mirror, and I wave back at school children.

By way of explanation, I have had to borrow a string of other people's cars of late because as I may have mentioned, the MX5 only has 2 seats, and a boot that barely fits a .. um .. boot. Where am I going to put fifteen stomachs' worth of catering? Answer: in someone else's car. So I've been driving the boss's Range Rover (although not as often as I’d like, the friendly neighbour having a tight grip on the keys of late), Mr Coffee-For-Me-Please's Volkswagen, and most recently, this delightful piece of European workmanship.

Yeah, I’m becoming one of them. Whatcha gonna do about it?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

(I'm thinking about my doorbell, when you gonna ring it?)

11:33 am  
Blogger llew said...

Reminds me of lazy saturday mornings persuading car salesmen that we really were serious about that Porsche, and no way are we just taking it for a quick joy ride (I mean test drive). But you get paid for it.

10:19 pm  
Blogger Pix said...

Yeah, I’m becoming one of them. Whatcha gonna do about it?

I'm tempted to come hang out with you and be a yuppie for a day. Auckland's an okay place to visit after all.....

11:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

personally I think that european car design is better that those asiatic cars. Much better.

btw, could I make flirtatious comments to you if I see you driving that convertible?
fiuuu fiiiiiuuuuuuuuu!!

:D

8:52 am  
Blogger Pix said...

Hey Jessie, coming up to auckland hopefully on the 22nd, just for the night and then going to tauranga to see my crazy family. Would be cool to catch up for a drink or something.

10:44 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Angel - yes you may. I agree, the car is very pretty, so there Jimmy-no-car :p

Pix, that sounds cool, I'm keen. Diaried ;)

Jo - yeah, you're right! Cute.

Llew, yes, yes I do get paid for it :)

Thanks Manda but I don't want to lose my illusions! And yeah sure, I'll give T&S a listen.

12:10 pm  

Post a Comment