July 23, 2005

Could this be... an update?!

the City Newton BombersLast night I saw the City Newton Bombers and Coco Solid at Galatos basement. What a fun night! I was supposed to see OdESSA at Top of the Pops but there were beers after work and I didn't make it. I trust their gig at the Odeon Lounge went well. Wellington people, Coco Solid is playing at Indigo tonight - definitely worth checking out!! The lineup includes The Users, the Blunts, someone else? and DJ Blink on the decks. (Go the 90s club hits ;)

Anyway. Have you noticed the tumbleweed round here of late? Things are a bit quiet, mostly due to the habit I seem to have acquired of leaving my laptop at work. This is chiefly due to my lack of laptop bag, and the attendant difficulty in transporting it. My current substitute is a high-tech system of hippy scarf and almost-big-enough backpack, and it's easier just to leave the thing on my desk. This means that I have not been keeping up with my net whanau, and it also means that I have been watching a lot more television in the evenings. Omg, did anyone see the Grand Finale of America's Next Top Model last night?! Wow. Go Eva. Now that is entertainment.

I saw an excellent, thought-provoking film on Thursday night: 'Three Dollars'. It was the first screening outside of Australia, and the director and producer were present to introduce the film and conducted a q&a session afterwards. The film was about decent-bloke-with-integrity Eddie Harnovey as he struggles to get along and establish financial security for his wife and daughter. He comes up against the odds and there are some interesting motifs in the film, such as the title - three dollars. It's quite a political statement on the state of the economy and the apathy of society. Go see it. It's fab.

That makes two movies I've seen at the film festival! (Remember, I went to see 'Turtles Can Fly' too.) Good effort, me.

On the walk home from the theatre, I called my dad. (I like to make phone calls while I walk; it passes the time.) I had a lot to tell him and our conversation lasted from Mayoral Drive to Bond St. At one point Dad asked me, "Do you want to talk to your brother?"

"Does he want to talk to me?"

"Yes..."

A pause.

"Guy. Did Dad force you to talk to me?"

"Yeah..."

"Well..."

"..."

"I don't want to talk to you if you don't want to talk to me."

"..."

You get the idea.

10 Comments:

Blogger Herge Smith said...

Non-US movies - yes please, although this will as always be an import DVD job or long drive to art house in Birmingham.

Gosh, your life sounds fab, gigs all the time, great movies...

Good to have you back blogging - see ya next time.

5:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaaah ANTM... yes piggy eva gogogogo BUT it was ann, ann , ann all the way for THIS punter! so sulky, so co-dependant, so... sporty... teehee xxx

7:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL!!!! I'm glad Eva one and not Devil Thy Name is Yaya. Let's face it... I love all trashy TV. Sigh.

So, I had a dream with you in it. Weird. You texted me from a Big Day Out... and I kinda blinked and managed to walk in without paying. There were hardly any people and Coldplay were playing. But it wasn't Coldplay... I mean, it didn't look like Chris Martin but it was. I was taking PXTs of the band (so hi-tech) and you wandered up the steps to the stage... actually you ran and this massive security dude caught you before you stormed the stage and let you sit on the side of the stage. Then Chris Martin came up and kissed your cheek and I looked up and my leg twitched like I thought I was next.. which he saw.. and I got a kiss too. And then I said something incredibly witty like "OMG I HAVE CHRIS MARTIN'S SPIT ON MY LIP" heheh.

Don't judge me.

10:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shame. Eva WON. Tricky English words...

10:48 pm  
Blogger Pix said...

Oh, I spend most phone conversations with my brother talking to his armpit. Well, he is 7. He's much better in person, in fact he hasn't shut up all weekend....

Get your laptop back Jessie. Convince me Akl isn't as crappy to live in as I remember it.

9:59 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Lisa, I'm honoured :) Sounds almost as trippy as my Friday night. So, you coming up for BDO?!
Pix, Auckland is a blast. In spite of my limited social life (Herge, of course I make it sound fab - you don't think I'd blog about how I spent Saturday night with my laptop, do you?!), I am totally loving it up here.
Org, I must email you. In fact I will. Right now.

10:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn, shame about your bro. Saw my two recently and laughed until I was sick :-)

How are you liking lovely Auckers? Sounds like you are making the most of it!

1:52 am  
Blogger Miramar Mike said...

At least your brother talks (ish) to you ... but I'm not bitter.

Sounds like you've very successfully transpalented Wellington life for Auckland life and bloody quickly as well. On ya.

Any hints & tips to lessen the pain of moving away from Wellington?

4:13 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yes I suppose the transition has gone well... I'm certainly rather pleased with everything, bar my income. But what's new?! As for lessening the pain: out of sight, out of mind, Mike! Once you've moved, you'll be focussed on moving forward. Mostly I miss my friends, but they're only a phone call away.. when they're in range/answering their phones, anyway. I wonder if I'll find as many excuses to visit Welly as I did for visiting Auckland?

Caroline, I should point out that we did manage a decent conversation after that exchange. My brother requires careful handling (don't you, Guy! Heheh) but once you get the hang of it, it's entirely worthwhile :)

4:21 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yeah.. but I'm working on a new post, right this very moment ...

1:53 am  

Post a Comment