July 13, 2005

On Cakes and Self-Pleasure

One important lesson I learned while at university was the truth of the aphorism, "You can't have your cake and eat it too." For a long time I refused to acknowledge the veracity of these nine words, so much so that I was determined to prove them wrong. I came up against a wall many many times in the process, upsetting not only myself but also several not-so-innocent bystanders. I still struggle with it at times, however it appears that the next cliché that ol' schoolmarm life wishes to establish is, "You can't please all the people all the time."

Aesop said it best: Please all, and you will please none. Can it be more important to please oneself, keeping in mind the golden rule? Again, it's a lesson I seem to have learned (or not) many times. You gotta do what you gotta do, and that's not a cop out to justify any perceived misbehaviour. Sometimes a decision is required and there's no option to sit on the fence.

This was relevant to me over the last week or two as I've pondered my future and which path to take. On the advice of several industry people whom I consulted fresh out of varsity, I'd always intended to work in a commercial law role for two years. I had fourteen months of it in Wellington.

Then I somehow decided to leave my job and move to Auckland... and en route my carefully laid plans began to morph into something new and unformed. (If this was a film, the screen would blur at this point and the soundtrack would be something spacey, perhaps by the Flaming Lips.) Now I've been here almost four weeks, things have fallen into place relatively neatly and I've set a new path. The bus leaves first thing Monday morning. Stand by for weather reports.

One thing I won't miss is the billing timer. The freedom!!

Light relief for Hump Day: stuff on my cat, thanks to B. Also, today it didn't rain until 2:22pm!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've been in Akld 4 weeks already?!! Billing timers should be abolished... can't wait for that weather report, sunshine all the way hopefully :)

7:39 am  
Blogger Miramar Mike said...

Sounds like the universe is catching up with you. Wicked!

10:24 am  
Blogger llew said...

What, is Hump Day?

5:48 am  
Blogger Miss Marisol said...

I think you have to please yourself first or you won't be able to please other people because you'll be miserable and sad.

7:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Meg, always lovely to hear from you!

Kia ora Mike! S'true, can't complain... yet ;)

Llew, can't you figure it out? Here's a clue: it's all down-hill from Hump Day.

Miss M, you have a point there. It gets so confusing trying to find the value in a whole range of people's advice, especially when it's all different. You gotta find your own way, blah blah etc etc :)

9:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No-one in Oz seems to know what Hump Day is... I find it's fun to keep them guessing!

3:16 am  

Post a Comment