July 15, 2005

Drivin' on 9

Things I have learned in the last two weeks:
  1. Don't park in the managing director's parking space. Better yet, don't park anywhere. This 'first-in, first-served' vs 'allocated' parking system defies understanding.

  2. Companies with junk food budgets kick ass.

  3. A map of where people's desks are is an invaluable aid to learning people's names.
This afternoon I'm southward-bound: alas it's time to return my dad's car. I intend to drive as far as Hunterville (around 470km) and continue on to Wanganui tomorrow morning. Then I will catch a bus to Wellington where I will absorb the love and adoration of my friends before returning to my new home on Sunday evening.

I've been thinking about buying a car. Aside from the fact that I can't afford one without a loan from mea pater, that is. I've been browsing carfair.co.nz, turners.co.nz, and even the 'under $2k' section of trademe. However, I can't get away from the fact that my guiding parameters are somewhat limited by my lack of motoring knowledge. I'm told that for $2k, a good deal has less than 150,000km on the odometer. Right. I can take that on. I know I would ideally like power steering (am only just beginning to understand parallel parking, better not push my luck), central locking and at the least a tape deck/fm radio.

Good start, yes? But there's sooo much choice! For the Original Undecided, the range of make/model/doowacky/widget is not only overwhelming, it's also offputting. I'm going to see how I get on as a pedestrian in the next week or two and re-assess. And when he's fresh off a 24-hour-plus flight from London tomorrow morning, I can't think of anything Dad would rather hear than, "Can I borrow a thousand dollars?"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Choosing a car is a headache.You need a mechanic friend to make life easy ideally so you don't get ripped off.Dare ya to ask Dad for the $$...give him chocs to soften him up a bit first...

3:14 am  
Blogger David said...

Check out the notice boards in the backpacker's hostels. There are bound to be some travellers looking to offload old-and-cheap cars before they leave the country.

8:31 am  
Blogger Pix said...

My dad's a mechanic, although a diesel one, he knows a lot about cars and swears by Toyota's mechanically, although you have to watch the old ones for rust, you should be able to pick up a nice little Corolla for under two grand, and as for the kms it's apparently better to get a car that's been thrashed by a boyracer than one that's only been driven to the supermarket and back for the last ten years until granny died. My sister's boyfriends also a mechanic for a racing car team in auckland, want me to hook you up?

10:19 pm  
Blogger limegreen said...

I know I've already bent your ear on this, but I'd also recommend a toyota (alhough you do pay slightly more for the reputation).

Also, I'd suggest a station-wagon. By chance, my first car was one, and I won't buy a sedan now. The amount of stuff you can fit, the fact that you can sleep in the back etc. Probably crap for the city, but if you aspire to be a road-tripper...

2:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jessie
toyota corolla is a great make/model - i've got a 1989 one, and have had no problems with it in the 3 years i've owned it. Very reilable, easy to get parts, etc. One tip - look into joining the AA - they do a very thorough car inspection service for members on prospective cars, see their website for more info. Doing an inspection will give you a better idea if the car you are thinking of buying has any major problems that might make it less of a bargain. Good luck! Peter Mac

2:13 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks all for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

6:00 am  

Post a Comment