July 29, 2005

NZonAir pats own back. I help.

If Marcus Lush is right, and the rest of the country gets off on Auckland's traffic woes, then you should all be extra happy right now due to the horrendous gridlocking responsible for the theft of an entire hour of my life last night as I attempted to get across town from Parnell. Of course, I've only got myself to blame - I thought it might be interesting to take the Link bus clockwise (via Newmarket), instead of my usual anti-clockwise (via downtown). Bad decision.

I intended to bus as far as Ponsonby Rd and then walk home, drop off my laptop, then catch a ride with the Friendly Neighbour to Toto's, where a function was being held to mark the fifth anniversary of NZonAir's Phase Four music plan. As my bus inched its way up Khyber Pass Rd and onto Symonds St, I realised I had no chance of getting to Ponsonby and meeting my ride by 6:30. I asked the bus driver where the best stop was to get to Hobson St, where I thought Toto's was located. He recommended getting off ("alighting") at the AUT stop on Wellesley St, and walking from there.

Once I reached Hobson St, I realised I had no idea where I was going. I rang The Boss. "Help," I said. He laughed at my trademark lack of directional awareness and explained how to get to Toto's, located on Nelson St. I took a deep breath, savouring the non-bus air, free(ish) of exhaust fumes, and set out with the forthcoming open bar firmly in mind. As I entered Toto's, I was handed a NZonAir button and a glass of champagne - a superb start. Once I'd stashed my laptop bag (yes, the too-small backpack) behind the bar, it was all on.

Lovely evening. Loads of people to see and meet, including the Forgotten Crush, simmering away for a rainy day. Introduced myself to Russell Brown. ("Call the Accelerants primitive, would you?!") At one point I narrowly avoided barging into none other than the R.H. Helen Clark. How often does that happen? Not very often, clearly her minders were less than vigilant or else figured I posed little threat. Someone called Sarah Brown (I think?) played a short acoustic set, Mr Slave introduced speeches by Helen Clark, A Man Whose Name I Missed, and the lovely Brendan Smyth. After that Elemeno P played a few songs, including a great version of 'Death and the Maiden'. I declined the opportunity to see Nelly at the Supertop, in spite of being earlier intrigued by the fact that his entire lower jaw is diamond, and made it home in time for Homegrown Late.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cece Martinez said...

Sounds like fun!

3:30 am  
Blogger David said...

You could buy a bicycle. Bypass the gridlock. Use it day and night. And bungy your laptop on to the carrier... allowing you to post more often.

5:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Helen. What a life you do lead.

6:24 am  
Blogger Hannah said...

The open bar seemed to be the crowd puller. Aunty Helen on the ran-tan.. good times.

1:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just twigged, Jess. You moved from Wellington, didn't you? Duh me! Anyway, it was lovely to meet you last night. I hope you enjoyed the Breaks Co-op set. They're pretty awesome, eh? Meeting you set me to thinking what a small world it was which was topped off by discovering that Rodney's girlfriend's mum walks her dog in the same place that I do, and I know her, and her three legged beastie! Anyway, I often read your blog, and now I know who I'm reading about, it makes it all the better.....

1:44 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Great suggestion David, but Auckland's no Copenhagen. There are hills and fuckwit drivers.

Good to meet you too Jackie. I'm relieved you clicked on, so I'm not just some weird stalker ;)

8:34 pm  
Blogger David said...

And I forgot you live on the North Shore. Is there any way across the bridge on a bicycle or on foot? I don't recall seeing one.

3:22 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

No no no no no, I don't live on the North Shore! I just stayed there for a week when I first moved here. I live in nicely named Arch Hill nowadays :) As for the bridge, it's combustible engines all the way.

1:50 am  

Post a Comment