November 26, 2005

Anxiety and Indiscretion

Oh, the music.

SJD opened, kicked off with 'Guiding Light'. Ru and Rin and I got stuck into our first bottle of red. The tables of squawking girls behind us were treated to progressively more fierce stares, until we learned to tune it out - although everyone was relieved and amused to hear the collective shushing during the softer parts of the Phoenix Foundation's set. And while Luke claimed that the Wellington show was better, it was all swirly goodness to me, right through to the final encore of 'Sister Risk'.

Fantastic to see the boys pull off such a significant show. I thought back to Matt's phone call a month or two ago, his plans for the theatre tour and the question: could they pull it off? "Promote the fuck out of it, and you can do it," is what I thought. They totally did.

Afterwards we made our way down to Shanghai Lil's, me buzzing out on the significance... It was after another Phoenix gig that I first visited Shanghai Lil's on my second night in this city, and that's when I met the boss. It seemed like a milestone of sorts, to be doing it over again - I even saw the boss there, on his own post-gig mission.

Even though Nato reckons there weren't enough girls, just a load of guys with beards, I thought it was a great party. I monopolised Matty, officially among my most favourite people on this planet. I had the usual nostalgic/ head-shaking post-Hot-Swiss-Mistress analysis with Warner, talked utter shit with various rock stars, and was wildly indiscreet without the slightest care.

And consequently, today has been quite odd. I contemplated returning to Wellington, but I had to get my car from Eden Terrace so we left it at that. For the third time since I moved here, I waved goodbye to my favourite band. As the day went on my anxiety increased as memories of potential misdemeanours swam to the surface and the accumulated weight bore down on me, vague and persistent. Soon I realised that although I had no physical hangover symptoms, this paranoia had to be due to alcohol. Etc. Perhaps it’s also why my muscles are so achey.

It's cool though. I'm over it. And since I live here now, no more Wellington. (I'm also trialling a new banner and one or two other tweaks.)

I'm really looking forward to seeing Bic Runga and band on Monday at the Civic. And, I've booked flights to Melbourne for a week's holiday after Big Day Out. I'll need it.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey little sis, bugger Melb, come to Sydney! It's way more rockin' x

1:50 pm  
Blogger harvestbird said...

The alcohol paranoia is a bitch, isn't it? Worse, to my mind than the other kind of altered-state paranoia, and far less talked about.

I love the new banner!

9:59 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Meg, Sydney sold out.. can you come to Melbourne for the show? Go on..

H-bird, I've never pinned it down before! And thank you. Is it just me, or are your comments broken??

10:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no can do Jess, got dental commitments sadly :( & I hear that domestic flights at that time are over $300...x

12:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no can do Jess, got dental commitments sadly :( & I hear that domestic flights at that time are over $300...x

12:08 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

ooh melbourne eh? How exciting, if you ever had any photos of yourself on your blog I could look out for you. Maybe you can look out for me as I am vain blogger with many self portraits posted.

4:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm digging the banner. Thanks for the phone call too. I'm convinced that I shall be buying Bic's new album the next time I'm near a music store of sorts.

9:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Handsome banner and new palm.
Cheers for the thoughts on the sjd/tpf show. Chatty catty chicks during good shows suck.
Even if you don't move back to Wellington, do you reckon you'll get back down sooner v. later? The NZ Festival line up looks pretty alright!
Have a brilliant time in Melbourne...again. I need a souv.

10:37 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hi Rosie, I can't cope with publicising myself like that. I don't know why :) It would be cool to hook up in Melbs though.

Jo, oh phew! I thought that too.

Lisa, thank you! I wanted to share the goodness around. Do get the album, it's quite beautiful.

Tricia, I hope to visit Welly between Christmas and New Year, but just for a quick visit. I'm going to try and engineer some work trips down there next year.. we'll see!

Joel, I don't know about Ben - all I know is that I asked Warner about sixteen times where Ben is at and I forgot every time. But I hear that Hot Swiss Mistress lives on and I'm sure they'll surprise us all with something fantastic soon. Bic's band includes those you mentioned plus Boxcar Benny, Anna Coddington, Conrad Standish, and a drummer from LA called Joey Waronker.

2:24 am  
Blogger Barry said...

Stupid work! I had big plans to spend the weekend in Christchurch, so I could catch up with the SJD/Phoenix gig as well as Module's outing. Unfortunately their planning didn't factor in my exam marking, so I had to forego the pleasure.

9:50 am  

Post a Comment