July 27, 2006

WTF moment #8763

Last week I had a haircut booked for Wednesday evening, 6:15pm, at a well-known chain hairdresser down Queen St. I hadn't been there before, but thought I'd give it a try on the recommendation of a couple of friends. As it happened, about 5:30pm on Wednesday evening I was caught deep in traffic on Queenstown Drive, delivering the boss to the airport, so I had to cancel. Deep disappointment. I can't even begin to describe the state of my split ends.

Come Monday, I decided it was time to try again, so I booked an appointment for this evening, 6pm, at a salon on Ponsonby Rd, again on the recommendation of (another) friend. Perhaps you can imagine my growing anticipation as the day wore on. Finally the hour arrived, and I left the office early and trudged through Grey Lynn to the salon. I walked in, was invited to take a seat, and then it came: "I'm really sorry.. we've had a problem. I've been trying to reach you.."

Uh-oh.

".. the thing is, [Chelsea/Tracey/Sandra] has *lost her scissors*!"

I waited for him to laugh, to signal that he was joking. He didn't. It appeared that this ludicrous statement was meant quite seriously, and furthermore it meant that my long-awaited haircut was NOT TO BE. Karma for last week's cancellation?

The guy breaking the news to me wasn't terribly apologetic, nor did he seem to think it was any great inconvenience - he didn't even offer to reschedule the appointment - I had to ask for another slot, another day. Naturally I requested a 10% discount, which he informed me he wasn't authorised to give. I asked to speak to the manager - and was told that he was the manager. Yet he wasn't authorised to give a discount for causing me (eXtreme, in my eyes) inconvenience! This guy was a retard with no visible compassion. I duly took the owner's phone number - still waiting for him to return my call - and reluctantly re-booked an appointment for midday Friday.

Once I got home, I made an appointment for a different Ponsonby Rd salon and cancelled with the scissors-less place. Fingers crossed for third time lucky.

8 Comments:

Blogger ANNA said...

Soooo glad you cancelled and booked with another salon - what kind of business are these idiots running? Totally clueless - must have been inhaling bleach fumes or something... Good Luck!!! [Very restrained of you to not name that salon].

11:10 am  
Blogger llew said...

Should've told him you were getting married the next day & really needed it done.

9:18 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

That's pretty much how I felt - I really want it done before the weekend. I can't handle any more days of woefully split ends. As I may have mentioned. I guess I'm just glad it makes for a good story.

10:49 pm  
Blogger miss_seph said...

can you email me the name of said asswipe salon so that I don't accidentally book there? I have stupidly split hair too and desperately need a cut.

Although, I could just boycott ALL ponsonby salons. That would probably make more sense.

2:08 am  
Blogger Barry said...

(a) you seem to have a lot of haircuts! and (b) bill him a couple of hundred in wasted lawyer (he needn't know all the truth) time.

1:35 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Barry - a lot of attempted haircuts! And one successful :) The last haircut I had before yesterday's was just prior to New Year, apart from a few superstar fringe adjustments ;)

8:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty epic! glad you got your cut in the end.

Did you make it to the Buda, Bachelorette, Lawrence Arabia goodness in time? Any gory details to share?

7:52 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Umm.. no, not really. As far as I can remember, there was a lot of banter from Luke and Craig, Luke was dressed in a cravat which apparently explains why they took so long to come on stage, and I left before it finished because I was too excited about my road trip the next day.

11:47 pm  

Post a Comment