August 06, 2006

Tying up the weekend.

This weekend has been everything a weekend should be. Social, relaxing, and productive. Let's recap.

On Friday night I looked forward to chilling at home and finishing my book, John Irving's 'The World According To Garp'. As I was easing into the weekend with a beer at work drinks, Mark called and invited me to accompany him to bFM for Handpicked. So I did. And after that, still anticipating an early night with my book, he sweet-talked me into dinner and a show, the show being the Shaky Hands et al at the Kings Arms. By the time we arrived, there was only one Shaky song to go, but I saw Motocade who were pretty good.

But I wasn't supposed to be there, so Mark (who'd dashed off to the Odeon to take a look at Mon Ami) returned and we headed to Shanghai Lil's. It was my first visit to the new premises at Victoria Park, and I was impressed.

On Saturday morning, the team assembled and we checked out the Food Show. I managed not to overindulge, quite remarkable really, given the delights on offer. My favourite delicacy was blue cheese presented on a cracker with fresh honey and walnut. YUM!! Had to buy some of that goodness, and I also got some tasty ravioli. Who's coming for dinner?

The afternoon was occupied with meeting Tu for coffee and sleeping, and the evening brought 30/10th birthday celebrations for T at the Coco Club. Or is it Coco Room? I always forget. I checked out Buffalo Stance at Pony, but wasn't into it. Today I've been mostly domestic, including spending a good hour shifting the mountain of dishes. And I've made a good start on my new book: Clive Barker's Weaveworld.

I've got a brief visit to Sydney mid-week. Should be fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger None said...

I finished Garp a couple of months ago. I'd love to hear what you thought about it.

2:57 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hi there! I really enjoyed it. The feminism aspect took me by surprise, I wasn't expecting it to be so pivotal. That whole Ellen James thing was pretty out there - it was really interesting the way the conflict between their philosophy and Garp's outlook developed. The relationship between Helen and Garp was intriguing.. (SPOILER) that car accident was so nasty, too - poor Duncan - and Walt wasn't even mentioned for a few chapters so I just had to guess what happened to him.

11:40 pm  

Post a Comment