September 08, 2007

a bit of a moan

Just so I can take a break from complaining to everyone I know about this, what is going on with the NZ dollar? When I left NZ it was at an all time high, and now that I'm here in London with my shiny new (empty) bank account and dollars ready to transfer, it's at an all time low!

I'm sleeping on the couch at my sister's, avoiding all unnecessary spending. Please can we regain our business confidence or whatever it's going to take for the exchange rate not to rob me of my hard earned coin?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Paul Capewell said...

Its astonishing isn't it? Works well for me, but absolutely horrendous for you. :(

6:14 pm  
Blogger jb said...

Not really THAT astonishing. If you look at the fundamentals, it was waaaay overvalued and the bank analysts were waiting for the tipping point to be reached (i.e. viaincreased risk aversion) for it to plunge.
It'll go further

10:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah sorry buddy but I think you're gonna have to take the punt & bring your moolah over as soon as you can, my gut says its gonna go lower. And Stephen Colbert says to trust your gut.

4:45 am  
Blogger limegreen said...

The boring person in me says it was expected.

The bitter and twisted person in me says "When I went in 2000, it was about .27 (that's almost 4NZD per pound, as opposed to the princely rate of 2.9NZD per pound now)"

And the empathic person in me says "Yeah, my trip to the US just went up 15%, and in the couple of days while I was waiting on my tickets to be issued, they moved up something like 8%"

5:49 am  
Blogger limegreen said...

Oh. And my next trip to aussie's just jumped 10% as well...

It's a bad time to be travelling. Although I think (more correctly), the last year or so has been a great time to be travelling.

5:51 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Ok, I've done it. I am glad I did all my travelling before the bubble burst. Thanks for the advice..

4:04 pm  

Post a Comment