February 06, 2008

Sunset - 16:56

I was only away for eight days but the days are so much longer already! And yet, there are fewer hours, living in London. Especially on a day like today, when the Jubilee line flat out refuses to cooperate. And I neglect my backyard, I neglect common sense, I neglect flickr. Don't take it personally.

In the interests of attempting to at least catch up on photos of recent holidays, here's a shot of our best discovery in Amsterdam - the fascinating and tiny Cafe de Dokter.



Click here for the set.

I'm just back from a holiday to Turkey. I spent a few days revisiting old haunts in İstanbul, where I was greeted off the plane by a sky full of swirling snowflakes - my first snow this winter! It was chilly but lovely, particularly as I shared my time with Libby and Guy as they wound up their own northern hemisphere adventure. After that I flew to Antalya and travelled on to Demre, possibly an unlikely holiday destination but nonetheless a worthwhile visit. This part of the trip was characterised by an eXtreme lack of planning, but it all panned out nicely - in fact, I was adopted by a Turkish family! Stand by for photos! Only don't hold your breath, because I still have my entire Italian Christmas and New Year waiting in the wings.

I don't think I'll ever catch up. Next holiday: Isle of Skye for Easter. And after that, I hope to catch up with Jakob on their forthcoming European tour. It'd be rude not to.

One other thing. I'm giving up sugar for Lent. Can't remember the last time I did that. I think I heard maybe two different people mention giving something up, and next thing this idea presented itself. Messages of encouragement welcome.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

I'm taking notes of places to go in Amsterdam. I think the cheese shop should be one of the places. After all, kaas is one of the first words I've learned. Along with beer. You know, the important stuff. ;)

We should be in Utrecht by sometime in May. You'll have to come visit or maybe we can meet up in Amsterdam.

2:37 am  
Blogger mlove said...

hello! looking forward to hopefully seeing you soon - i'll be in london in 5 weeks! too bad you will be away over easter, as that is the main time i'm in london - but yay for the isle of skye! i'm spending the week end after easter on islay - one of the inner hebrides - i'll be whisky tasting yum. xx mj

8:15 pm  
Blogger ANNA said...

Heya, has Lent started? I guess you'll be a couple of days into the sugar-free zone and may well be feeling a bit on edge... best of luck to you there - couldn't do it myself, unless I was single perhaps, but that ain't happening. Thanks for the birthday greetings for Lockie - much appreciated :)

xxx

7:58 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Alison, hooray! I will certainly come visit sometime, maybe later in the year.

Marilyn - that's great! Sorry can't be here at Easter, travel is my new religion and it's a four day window begging to be climbed. But we'll catch up x

Anna, yes allegedly we've just had Ash Wednesday. Which followed Shrove/Pancake Tuesday, the existence of which I'd completely forgotten. Not on edge, it's going well. Good to hinge the abstinence on something, makes it easier!

10:17 am  
Blogger Tomatohead said...

Just heard that Te Papa is giving away 3,000 slices of Lamington for its 10th birthday. Perhaps it's just as well that you are in a different hemisphere for your vow of sugar abstinence?

BTW, "Ash Wednesday" is one of the most brilliant Mutton Birds songs about the record industry and self loathing and stuff ever.

The cafe/bar pic was brilliant.

8:01 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

I could totally use a lamington. Apparently sponge cakes aren't so easy to find here in the UK.. maybe someone could email me the Edmonds recipe for sponge cake? And the chocolate icing part of the lamington recipe? Strictly for after Easter, of course.

1:53 pm  

Post a Comment