March 29, 2009

You

Who do you write for? I read the writings of others, and often it's quite clear that references to 'you' are not references to 'me'. So I am wondering to whom I direct my message. At any given time, 'you' may be one of many different people. Sometimes it's clear in my mind, and that lends clarity to the writing. It provides the angle, tells me where to be precise and where to blur. How widely spaced should my lines be, that 'you' might read between them?

Other times, maybe coinciding with when I'm not entirely happy with my output, I don't know for whom I am writing (or how to use 'whom'). A nebulous 'reader' who will stumble upon my words, take the time to read and consider, and be struck by the resonance? It seems unlikely.

So now I have to ask: who is this piece for? I stop, I consider, and maybe, reluctantly, I know. There's a chance it's you.

The clocks went forward an hour today; I was momentarily confused by the technology that keeps my time adjusting of its own accord. For a while now, I've been considering wearing a watch, and that would have let me own the responsibility of keeping the hours in line. I'll consider it further at a later date.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Capewell said...

This is something I often think about. You say it fairly well, too. Nice one. You've inspired a train of thought which will no doubt make its way to my own blog.

It's a complex subject...

10:34 am  
Anonymous tim said...

When I write the you is often me, or a poke at humanity in general. It sounds like you're referring to "context collapse" as coined by Dr. Michael Wesch. Interesting article if you're interested...
http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/?p=183

3:34 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks for that Tim - looks really interesting. I will have a proper read some time soon..

1:26 pm  

Post a Comment